Monday, May 20, 2024

Eyeing a New Project

I made a mistake. 

I asked my niece what she wanted for her birthday. 

(Previous requests: an afghan in the super chunky yarn, a beanie, a tank top, another tank top, and a third tank top.)

I mean, it's not like I'm actually actively working on anything (except for the string lights, although I wouldn't call that "actively working" as it's more like I'm-going-somewhere-where-I-need-something-to-do-with-my-hands-and-this-is-available). I have some ideas, but not the push to get them started.

Anyway, Liv (who turns 23 in June) sent me six screenshots of things she liked. I went on an internet hunt to find patterns, and ended up one for six. 

(And she really buttered me up. She texted: "i love when you make me stuff. it's my favorite stuff in my wardrobe")

Although, the first pic in the bunch was the one she really wanted (the others were to give me options). And while I did not find a pattern for the sweater in that picture, I did find something in the spirit of the sweater. 

First, what she found:

And then the "in the spirit of" video tutorial I found: 

(The video is over two hours long. I have not watched all of it. And I probably won't. But it's a good start.)

Ultimately, it won't look like the reference picture, but it'll be close. Maybe. We'll see.

Now, I just need to acquire yarn, get her measurements, and see what I can cobble together. Wish me luck.

24 comments:

  1. It's a cute one! Once you find a pattern, or make one up (We know you can do it, we believe in you!) it looks like it should go quickly, like a round granny square?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start a granny square and never square it off. That's what it looks like. But I'm terrible at reading pictures, so I don't hold out much hope of making it look like the example.

      Delete
  2. That sweater is so cool.. you are going to be aunt of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you make something really close and she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Alex. ~nods~ That's a cool sweater. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that's what I need, a sweater that watches me. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you the best of luck.
    It's so great to start a new project... and yes, of course it takes perseverance to finish it... especially when it comes to knitting or crocheting.
    So good luck.
    I'm so excited... what you're going to tackle and how you're going to do it.
    Have fun.
    Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thecontemplativecat here. That is so cool. It reminds me of a poorly crocheted sweater vest I made for John. It was horrible. But I wanted it to look like yours!

      Delete
    2. Do you have pictures? I would love to see what you made.

      Delete
  7. Eye sweater. Definitely different and I applaud you for trying to listen to even part of a two hour video. I have confidence in you and know you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably only need the first maybe 20 minutes. I doubt I even need that long.

      Delete
  8. All the best. Hope your niece brings out the genius in you 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just copying, so no genius necessary.

      Delete
  9. That is really cool, I look forward to seeing your version. Lucky niece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it'll be close, but I'm not feeling like it will be.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that! Maybe something more classic. In any case, I really like her style! It's going to be a fun and motivating project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey...this looks really cool and hip. I know, I sound old but it makes me want to hear White Rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome that she loves the things you make for her.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.