Friday, May 3, 2024

Reading the Script

When I started this long term assignment, the computer science classes were doing a "careers" unit. But there were only so many days I could go over how to interview and they only needed so much time to construct a resume. 

Besides, I was getting bored. And if I was bored, I was sure they were bored, too.

Once I felt like I'd covered everything (well, not everything, but enough so they knew the basics), it was time to get back into the computer science of the thing. But, I don't know computer science. 

The classes are built on lessons from code.org. Their assignments have been on that website. 

It turned out, the lesson plans for each lesson contained a slideshow to show to the class, and a lesson plan with a script. 

Of course, the assumption is that the teacher actually knows what she's talking about, so the script is more talking points to help direct where the lesson should go. 

That's not how I've been using it, though.

The next unit on the agenda was about algorithms. So, gamely, I got the slides ready, and I prepared to "teach" the lesson. I read ahead and saw that they needed sticky notes, so I got them sticky notes. We got into the lesson...

I have two periods of computer science. One period gamely went through the lesson.

The other period? Half of them were completely tuned out, playing games on their computers or phones. 

Sigh.

But that was half the class. The other half was attempting the lesson.

Did they learn anything? I hope so. At least it was more interesting than another lesson on how to answer "Tell me about yourself". 

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with your boredom vigilance! I'm still giving away free board games, or bored games, to my newsletter subscribers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only help them if they are willing to try.

      Delete
  2. I suppose a "teach the teacher and show me what you can do" day wouldn't fly with the building principal. It might be fun, though, giving them a chance to show off their skills. (It could be a bit dangerous, though, too.) In a way I am feeling for both you and the students. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could work, but I would have to figure out how to implement it. And I'm not sure how I would. The same handful of students would gamely attempt it (although I should give them time to prepare), while those that have tuned out would continue to be tuned out.

      Delete
  3. You might pick up some things from the lessons! Resume writing is an important skill to learn (although there are plenty of sites with pre-built templates), and how to interview is something everyone needs help with! I don't know if this is an elective, but every student needs to know those two things. Speaking of electives, my local school district is planning budget cuts, and part of that is discontinuing ALL electives! And getting rid of the librarian. I can only imagine how no electives will look on college applications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible. Around here, the students need a couple electives to graduate as they are required to get 220 credits, but only 180 are spoken for in the basic requirements (math, English, history, science, etc).

      Yeah, job hunting skills are needed. That's why I was good with doing that unit. But they didn't need two months on it. (They got about a month's worth of work out of it.)

      Delete
  4. You did the best you could, and seventy five percent of the kids doing the lesson isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, hats off to you. Teaching is very hard but teaching code that is on another level. Job hunting is a nightmare today.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go easier if I knew how to code. I'll add that to my list of things to learn.

      Delete
  6. I haven't yet been bored, since I been retired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why not make use of AI when you don't feel all too fine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know how to use AI to do my job. And I don't really have time to figure it out.

      Delete
  8. Great to try another way to add interest on the lesson, too bad for them they're not all interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Attention span is a real challenge these days, the fact you go the at least half the class to concentrate is an achievement

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure I could sit in a class these days. It was hard enough as a teen!! lol....teaching would be another issue! I can teach a paint class but lets not push it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ways of keeping it interesting for me. Unfortunately, sometimes my hands are tied.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.