Wednesday, May 29, 2024

An Ordinary Day

Sunday morning, I was on my phone playing Skip-Bo when an alert popped up for a gig on Monday. Woo-hoo! I grabbed it.

As I let myself into the room the next day, the teacher next door made a comment that made me remember something I did, in fact, know, but I had forgotten. The teacher, Ms. T, had been out the whole prior week. (There's an annual trip to Washington, D.C. She had been one of the chaperones.) He also gave me a heads-up that the kiddos might be a little wild.

Uh oh...

Knowing all that, would I have turned down the assignment? No. We're at the tail end of the school year. At this point there were eleven days left of school. (On the day this is scheduled to post, there are six. Five if you don't count today.) I will work as many of these last days as I can get.

And the day? 

Went fine. 

It was middle school. One period of eighth grade US history. Two periods of seventh grade success seminar. I remember success seminar from last school year when I covered the high school version for about a month. (Briefly, it's comprised of students who mostly aren't getting good grades. So, behavioral problems are expected.) 

So, knowing all this, I didn't allow students to swap seats. I circulated throughout the room all day. And I hovered over students who seemed distracted. 

Nothing terribly interesting occurred. 

I would not even mention this class at all, normally. But it's Sunday night (the night when I make sure my posts are all scheduled for the week). I've written all but today's post. I've spent the last couple days trying to figure out what interesting thing to blog about. And I'm coming up blank.

I mean, things happened. I worked all week. (Four days. We had Friday off as an extra added bonus day off to make the three-day weekend a four-day weekend.) But nothing really sounds good as a blog post. 

That's why I'm rambling on about nothing. 

I have many days like this. Days where things go pretty well, and I go home with no stories to tell. Sadly, if this was how all my days went, I would have to write a blog about something else. 

21 comments:

  1. Most of my days are like that. But they're good days, usually, just nothing I think is interesting to others goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of subbing time like that. Although it might not sound like it from my blog.

      Delete
  2. So close to the end of the school year I'd expect ALL kids to be a little wild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, good that you had a decent week. I struggle with "interesting enough to blog about" too, I think we all do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why my summer schedule is the way it is. I knew I'd need something to write about when school is not in session.

      Delete
  4. Normalcy does not make for interesting blog posts, but it’s good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't want a life so wild that I always had something interesting to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. School being over was always a great feeling. I hope you do some writing, and create masterpieces from yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get back to the writing. It's been a while.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes kids are only wild for certain teachers. You clearly aren't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound like an excellent teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. It means a less stressful day, that's for sure.

      Delete
  10. It's nice to have days like these...I'm glad you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, more often than not. It took me a few years to get here, though.

      Delete
  11. When everything goes as usual, there's no fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not interesting to write about. It can be fun to have a good teaching day, as you well know ;)

      Delete
  12. Thank goodness for normality much of the time - good post showing us what's what over with you and subbing - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.