Friday, May 31, 2024

Noted Bravado

Thursday. Eighth grade English. Third period. 

Their final, the next week, was going to be on The Diary of Anne Frank. They had been given a study assignment on it (flash cards on the computer and a brief quiz) and they had an extra credit assignment with questions that went along with watching a video, After the Annex

Because eighth graders at the end of the school year, I was circulating to make sure things didn't get crazy. 

"You told Mr. C I was using ChatGPT."

It was Axel. He was not happy. 

So, yes, I absolutely included Axel's name and the incident I wrote about last week. And I said so.

Axel: "He lets me."

Me: Then it wasn't a big deal, was it? 

Because, seriously, when I mention something to a teacher that they do, in fact, allow, I may get a reply that it was fine. If I sub for them in the future, there may be a note in the lesson plan about how such-and-such is allowed. 

Axel: "It, uh, wasn't, but I didn't appreciate that you wrote about me in your note."

I pointed out that that incident was maybe two sentences in a note that spanned three pages. (I was in Mr. C's class for a week. Some things needed to be noted.)

Axel continued to make his displeasure known. Mr. C had gone through my note with the class. (Some teachers do this.) And he didn't like getting called out. 

I moved on. 

Ms. S, the English teacher, had said that they weren't allowed to use cell phones. I told them that they had plenty of work to do. But many still were trying to sneak their phones. They're not very good about being sneaky, but as it was individual work, I wasn't really policing them on it other than to sidle up to them and meaningfully look at their phones. They mostly got the hint.

I passed Axel on my classroom circuit. 

Axel: "I'm not on my phone." As he hid his phone in his pocket. The phone that he was clearly just on. "Please, don't report me."

I think Axel had more of a consequence for his ChatGPT usage than he cared to admit.

(I didn't report him. If I had, I would have made a list of all the students on their phones. I only call out individuals for notable occurrences, like loudly proclaiming that ChatGPT is how they're going to do their work.)

19 comments:

  1. School students shouldn't be allowed to use the phone during class hours. We do that quite successfully in this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh huh. Agreed. If you'd like to take on the parents around here and police the cell phones, feel free.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully Axel will come around and follow the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's learning that his actions will be met with consequences.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! It's the consequences for my own actions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many teens are shielded from consequences, I have a feeling. It's good that you do what you do. The adult school of hard knocks is a harsh teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kiddos seem to think that what happens with the sub stays with the sub. It does not.

      Delete
  5. Here in NY our governor has a plan to eliminate the use of cell phones in the classroom. A lot of parents are not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you've hit it. It's the parents that put up the stink. The schools had a whole policy in place to ban cell phones. Then the parents got involved...

      Delete
  6. I have mix feeling and thoughts on techie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using Chat GPT at school is awful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see how it would be useful as a way of learning how not to research, but as a sub, I don't have the space to really go into that lesson.

      Delete
  8. haha.....I could never be in the school system. The only time I was, was at the Blind School and I will in admins. so I did not have to deal with kids. But issues like this was not a given there either. The drama there was the folks in the admin office, hence one reason i only stayed one yr then I retired. At my age, drama has been removed from my life. At a younger age, drama was something I comforted and dived into to get my point across so even younger, I could not do what you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The office has a whole different set of drama. I hear about it when I pass through checking in for the day or checking out sometimes. I'll stick with the kiddos' drama, thanks.

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat here. The phone issues are many. Makes teaching that much more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ChatGPT and AI is nothing but trouble.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.