Wednesday, May 15, 2024

No One Told Me

Tuesday. After doing a transition day with Mr. J, I was back in the day-to-day subbing pool. And my first day back I pulled an assignment at the alternative education center. Because naturally. 

Deep breath.

It was snack time. Apparently, the students had been using the classroom I was in as their snack spot. Security was there to supervise, so I let them be. Keeping these kiddos on an even keel works better when I don't mess up their routine too much. 

Then snack was over. I had one student in the class. He had settled in. The others had moved on to the classes they were supposed to be in. All except Jensen. 

Remember Jensen? No? He was at the AEC school the last time I subbed there, which was a surprise as he had just been at one of the traditional high schools for first semester finals. Although, not really a surprise, as he really had the personality to fit the alternative education center. 

I told Jensen it was time to go to his third period class. He wasn't budging. He argued. He'd rather stay in "my" class. I told him his teacher would miss him. He said someone would come to get him.

Sure enough, not two minutes later, an aide did arrive to shoo him to the class he was supposed to be in.

"What? No one told me it was time for class!"

Yeah, right...

Calmly, I refuted that claim to the aide. She gave me a look that told me she was used to Jensen's shenanigans. 

Then security stopped in to shoo Jensen to class. He again protested this was the first he was hearing of it. 

Deep sigh.

Jensen did then go to his actual scheduled class. But alas, I had him in fourth period...

Ah well. I was expecting something of this sort when I accepted the gig at the AEC. It comes with the territory.

19 comments:

  1. I wonder what the point of it was, knowing they would send someone to get him? Purposely wasting their time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've hit it, actually. He just wanted to waste time. Considering how he's acted in the past around me, I'm pretty sure that's the whole answer.

      Delete
  2. Good luck. Hope this one doesn’t turn into a long stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a one-day thing. I go into long terms knowing they're long terms.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, the kids in that school are difficult, aren’t they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they really expect the "no one told me" thing to fly? Clearly they have more learning to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I was so not surprised when I first encountered him there. He was made for that school.

      Delete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. Can't help wondering what Jensen will do with his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he'll pull it together as he matures. (He's a freshman.) I've seen it happen.

      Delete
  7. He has a bright future ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have some pains in wrong places there in the classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that is the whole point of my blog sometimes. I complain about them. You all tell me I am right to complain about them.

      Delete
    2. And I still agree that your complaints are valid as well as often interesting. Be well!

      Delete
    3. When they stop being interesting, it'll be time to stop blogging.

      Delete
  9. Anyway to get attention. Wonder what his homelike is like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good question. I would assume not great.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.