Tuesday, July 23, 2024

All Closed

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if your local library closed permanently? (Could be budget cuts. Could be citizens protesting what's in the library's collection. Could be new regulations. I won't specify why.)

8 comments:

  1. It would be like during COVID! No libraries! While I don't go as often as I used to (and some of that is due to children being grown so no library programs to go to), they are my favorite buildings in any city. The most important places. Yes, my education is in library science, but it's still true! People with no access to books, or computers, etc. have free resources in libraries. Your question may seem far fetched, but look at all the book banning going on now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped visiting libraries long ago. Started buying books of my like. So...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie here:
    That would be awful! I love the library!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually borrow books through an app and read on my kindle,so I haven’t spent a lot of time in my library recently. But I’ve used 5he library building for other things. I’d hate for the library to close

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frankly speaking I can't do without a library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worry about that if we lose democracy to the Project 2025 autocrats. My daughter-in-law is a librarian and our small town loves our library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would not affect me since I don't use the library. I can't check out books because my cats given the chance might tear them up or pee on them. This happened to me once and proved costly so I quit the library.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.