Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Almost Paradise

For today's what to watch Wednesday, I have the perfect summer-type show. It's called Almost Paradise

It's on the streaming service Freevee. Don't get Freevee? If you can stream TV, you have access. It's a free channel (supported by ads), so if you're finding you have nothing to watch, you might find something to interest you there. (I talked about it a year and a half ago.) 

In Almost Paradise, we have an ex-DEA agent expat named Alex who moved to the Philippines to retire. Of course things didn't go according to plan, and things are way more expensive than Alex expected. But he tries to make do while trying to take it easy. But, of course, he keeps getting sucked into solving crimes with the local police (who don't really need or want his help). 

Description via Google

Alex Walker, a former U.S. DEA agent who was forced into early retirement. Once the DEA's most resourceful undercover operative, the combination of his partner's betrayal and a life-threatening battle with hypertension has sent him as far from the madness as he can go -a small tropical island in the Philippine Archipelago.

For a show that takes place in not-America, a surprising number of people speak English (sarcasm intended). So, yeah, some of it is a bit far-fetched. But it's the perfect summer show--beachy, light (relatively), and not too involved. (It is a crime show. Crimes are committed and solved.) 

Trailers help, so here's the trailer for season 1. (There are two seasons thus far.) 


Ignore the Universal Plus. It is on Freevee.

Has anyone else seen this show? Does anyone have a recommendation for another show I can start?

22 comments:

  1. I'm worthless recommending shows! I don't have cable, and when I do watch anything on whatever service my son currently gets cheap I watch old detective shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a detective show (kinda), but current ;)

      Delete
  2. Free is always an enticement! Thanks for mentioning that and for the trailer.
    https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/p/something-new-this-way-comes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Christian Kane? I haven't seen or even heard of this show, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

    My significant other and I are wrapping up watching Black Sails (we're pretty much always behind the times when it comes to TV). Next up for us is The Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, I'm worthless on TV show recommendations. I've never checked out FreeVee, though - maybe I'll find something of interest for a hot summer afternoon's watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freevee has a ton of '90s movies and random TV shows that you haven't seen in years. I'm sure you'll find something that you saw back in the day and want to revisit.

      Delete
  5. Awesome thank you for the recommendation. I have freevee channel on my roku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's one of those free services, so most anyone who can stream can access it.

      Delete
  6. I had never heard of Freevee. Glad you found something you're enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice and mindless. Perfect to knit or crochet to.

      Delete
  7. I can't remember the last time I saw a show worth recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen that yet. I'm currently trying to finish up Person of Interest that is also on Freevee, via Amazon. I've got two episodes to go. I'll check out Almost Paradise next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Person of Interest. Michael Emerson is now on Evil. Completely different character ;)

      Delete
  9. Coincidentally I saw that title last night, but I opted for Grantchester on Prime. I will check it out, now that I read your post. I have been watching many shows on Britbox and Acorn. My faves are Luther (Idris Elba!!!!!), I also enjoyed Happy Valley, Shetland (love, love this one) and After the Flood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not subscribed to the British-centric streaming, but I'm tempted. 20-ish years ago I was big into BBC America.

      Delete
  10. I live in a place where this may not be available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not. Sorry. It's too bad as I'm sure there would be a market here for India-based stories. Streaming should be world wide.

      Delete
  11. I never heard of Freevee. I think it's on Amazone Prime too. I still get some network TV and there are a few new shows that look similiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Prime's offshoot. Kind of. (It wasn't, but then Prime bought them out, or something like that.) They work in tandem somewhat.

      Delete
  12. I've got it pulled up on Prime and as soon I visit everyone I'll start watching. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.