Monday, March 18, 2024

Fully Situated Replacement

In January, I got a new iPhone.

My old iPhone wasn't broken or anything. With planned obsolescence, I have to keep on top of replacing my devices every few years. It was time. (One time I waited a bit too long, and my trade in wasn't worth anything.) 

And because of the time it's been since I last upgraded, of course all of the connectors I had before were out of date. 

Which meant it was time to cover my cords. I finally got around to doing that. 

(Before this I was a bit busy with the afghan of two months, so the phone cords had to wait.)

When preparing to sit down and write this, I went through my back posts to find links, and it turns out that the first time I did this was in... gulp... 2013. So, I guess you could say it's a thing. (According to the post, I saw the idea online and decided I had to do it. Now it's just a thing I do.) 

First, I started with my earbuds. Yeah, I could buy AirPods or such, but that's kind of pricey for something I use occasionally. (When I use them, I need them, but I don't use them frequently.) 

Earbuds with cord covered in light blue yarn

Then I did the power cord.

Power cord covered in burnt orange yarn

The cables nowadays are pretty sturdy, and I have a cordless charger (as well as a case that will allow me to use the cordless charger), but I'm used to plugging the phone in, and I'm used to seeing a cord covered in yarn, so I had to do this. For me.

How did I do this? It's hard to explain. I should make a video of it, but I'm still in the process of getting three other videos I made last summer ready to upload, so that won't be happening any time soon. I'm basically slip stitching around the cord. It can be done with a single crochet around the cord, but I didn't like how that turned out.

And now I won't mention this again until I get a new phone. At my current rate of change, that should be in 2028.

Plug end of earbuds covered in light blue yarn

Where I did this previously:

18 comments:

  1. The yarn makes the plain white cord so much cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you have the fanciest cords around!
    I use earbuds daily and tend to go through a pair a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have earbuds from my first phone...

      Delete
  3. I've never done this. I've never thought of doing it. But I like looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something you could totally do. And, bonus, it would be a great summer project.

      Delete
  4. I love the cords idea. I couldn't live without my airpods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz - probably what I need to do ... they're fun - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that will do a great job protecting cords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does keep them from getting tangled, which is why I do it. Well, part of the reason.

      Delete
  7. It's fun how you incorporate your knitting into your every day life. It's cool and unique how you covered your charger cord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks pretty a d would be more organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about organized, but at least the cords don't tangle (as easily).

      Delete
  9. I wonder if your covers could be marketed to pet owners whose animals like to chew on cables. :D They are nice looking, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the yarn would help. Yarn is way easier to chew through.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.