It started when I saw this. (Not sure the legalities of posting pics of things that are not my own, so I'm hedging and just giving you a link. Go look. I'll wait.)
I thought, "I can do that." Well, not actually. I'm not sure what technique was used, but I figured I could crochet something like that. First, I went on a web search, and I found all sorts of interesting ways to cover a cord in yarn, but they were all the ways I could figure out on my own (although, I did get some interesting ideas).
I got to playing, and this is what I came up with...
|Covering the earbuds|
|Covering the power cord|
|And I added a button so that I could keep the cord bundled|