Monday, June 19, 2023

Rawr, Finished (For Now)

Almost a month ago now, I posted about a project idea for a dragon afghan. My main objections had to do with buying yarn and the weather.

But as I thought more about it, I realized that now was probably the best time (except for the depths of winter) to do the warm thing. And I'd best get on it before the weather warmed up.

(Our usual weather for the beginning of June is overcast and gloomy. June gloom. Lately, that's started to impact May more and more as well. And thus far, we haven't seen a lot of sun, although, it's supposed to warm up this week.) 

It took longer than I had expected (because I got sidetracked by a custom request), but now it's done. Well, not done-done, but the bit I had in mind is complete:

It turned out larger than I expected. I expected it to be large, but not quite this big. But that's a good thing.

The idea was for an afghan, and the rest of the afghan doesn't need to be nearly as much as I initially figured. 

I doubt I'm going to get much further on this in the foreseeable future. But I can think and plan.

I'm not sure if I want to crochet the rest or knit it. I'm not sure if I want a variegated yarn for the outside of the dragon portion or not. I figure I'm going to do some sort of texture, but what texture? 

I used a temporary cast on, and I've left the bind off loose, so I can rip out those stitches and continue when I'm ready. I deliberately did a simple selvedge edge on the sides, so I can knit or crochet into those stitches when I know what I want to do.

And, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when it is complete. 

But now that I've played with this idea, I can let it sit for a bit. My curiosity is sated.

(The pattern is Tahesha the Dragon(ess). Here's a non-Ravelry link.)

16 comments:

  1. It looks good! I think, going by the photo, it looks good as-is. Some tasselly edging all around to finish it off? My weather cooled off considerably yesterday, rather cold today, and rainy. Cold as in I had to pull out my long sleeved shirts, and wear long pants instead of short around the house again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tassels might be a good idea. However, the thing is not big enough to be anything other than in the way right now, so I do need to add to it to make it an afghan. Or stuff it and make a very large pillow (also an option).

      Delete
  2. It's coming out nice! I'm sure you'll figure out what to do next when you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome. You can never go wrong with dragons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw that pattern, I had to have it.

      Delete
  4. This looks great! I love the pattern and I think the border should not be straight as it would go with the dragon motif. Imagine if you found patterns for Hogworts..you could do all 4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, afghans tend to have straight borders, so that's what I'm leaning towards.

      Delete
  5. I know you will figure it out and it will be fine. I love the dragon motif. Someone will be very happy with this if you sell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay not knowing what to do with it now. The question I had was answered, so it can sit for a while.

      Delete
  6. I am not an expert. But it looks nice
    Regarding weather, here too it's crazy. Climate change has ensured that we are unable to predict the weather even with reasonable accuracy.
    In India, right now, in the north it's blazing hot summer. But in most other parts it's raining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. Glad you found a project to get excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for this beautiful dragon! Well done, it looks very pretty, and cozy too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz - well congratulations on getting this far - it looks amazing - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Me too. I'm itching to use it again, but I don't know on what.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.