Tuesday, June 6, 2023

A Thinking Universe?

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

The other day, I was watching NOVA. The episode was "Your Brain: Perception Deception". And in it, there was a moment when they compared the number of synapses in the brain to the number of stars in our galaxy. 

(I looked for a clip of just that scene, but I couldn't find one. The link goes to the whole episode. It's fascinating if you have the time, but it is an hour long episode.)

And I thought, what if...?

What if the universe is actually a brain?

11 comments:

  1. Well, good grief we would all be small voices. God help the brain! I watched that episode and my mouth dropped open with that statement

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if the universe was a brain? I haven't seen the episode so not sure if I'm addressing the question correctly. There is something called the Simulation Hypothesis, which proposes that our entire universe is a simulation. We could imagine it as a giant video game we are all participating in as characters. If the universe is a brain, I hope we humans are playing a good role in whatever its purpose is, because what if the game creator decides to switch the universe off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no incorrect way to address the question.

      Delete
  3. Looking at what's happened on, and to, Earth, I'd say it suffers from brain damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in way it already is.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought a couple times what if we live as bacteria would live on the outside of a cell (the earth) in a super giant organism. My own thoughts made me laugh because we think so highly of our tiny selves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then I would need to download some of that knowledge to my brain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like a real little worm on a really big hook.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.