Thursday, June 29, 2023

Yuck 13

As I write this, I'm in a particularly cranky mood. I've been trying to figure out what sort of Thursday 13 list I want to make, and the only thing I can think of is foods I dislike. So, let's go with that.

The following is a list of foods that I pretty much hate. But, these are foods that are generally enjoyed by the majority, so whenever I turn my nose up at some of these, people are surprised. (There are many foods I'm ambivalent on. I won't go out of my way for them, but I won't seek them out. These are not those.)

  1. Mayonnaise: I like eggs. I like oil. Mix them together in an emulsion, and absolutely not. So, that also means no potato salad and anything else this gets slathered on.
  2. Mustard: The only time I ever got seasick was when I was making sandwiches (for others, not for me) with mustard on them. The smell...
  3. Avocado: No guacamole. I'm not sure why I don't like this, but I absolutely do not.
  4. Coffee: A hot drink filled with caffeine? *shudders* (Caffeine is a no-go for me.)
  5. Ham: I don't know what it is about ham, but no. Nope. Nuh-uh.
  6. Cole slaw: I'm not sure if it's the cabbage or the consistency. Maybe both.
  7. Pickles: I don't see the appeal. I know there is one, but I can't imagine what it is.
  8. Strawberries: Yeah, I know, this one is really weird. But nope. I like strawberry flavoring, but the actual fruit just doesn't work for me.
  9. Sour cream: My brother calls this "battery acid". I concur. 
  10. Shrimp: I don't mind most seafood, but shrimp I just can't.
  11. Buffalo wings: I don't do spicy. And by spicy, I mean anything as spicy as table black pepper. (Seriously, I have the blandest white taste buds imaginable. What most people consider "a nice kick" I consider way too blazing hot.) 
  12. Olives: Olive oil is cool, but the actual fruit? Nope.
  13. Sauerkraut: My mother had this at least once a season while I was growing up. Me? Nope, wouldn't touch it.
This is not a complete list, of course, but it's a good start. What foods do you hate?

25 comments:

  1. I love most of those things! Esecially coffee, which I can't drink anymore. A beverage bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there no similar for coffee? I mean, is there just an ingredient that you can't take, or is it a whole no coffee thing?

      Delete
  2. I like them all. My grandson won't eat tomatoes but the love red spaghetti sauce and pizza. I can't think of any food I don't like, just degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm similar with tomatoes. They're great as an ingredient in something else, but not on their own.

      Delete
  3. Mushrooms, raw or cooked, or touching anything I want to eat. They have always tasted like dirt to me. I go out of my way to avoid them. Can't even stand the smell of them cooking.
    Onions, raw. Onions, cooked if in big pieces/rings. I like the taste they give foods, so use onion powder, or in fajitas will just pick them out. Chili is fine, as I cook it until the onions are not really there anymore!
    Spicy stuff. Can't anymore. Never did like it too hot.
    Mayo, with a few exceptions. I hate it on sandwiches. To dip artichokes, add to canned tuna, or egg and potato salad, that's it. Otherwise it ruins things. Can't scrape it off a burger bun enough not to taste!
    Cole slaw because it usually is full of mayo! I do get the bagged kind to make pot stickers with though.
    Most root vegetables, beets, turnips, parsnips. Won't try.
    Brussel sprouts. Cabbage. So no sauerkraut! Mustard greens. Other greens except spinach and chard.
    I didn't realize how picky I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not nearly as picky as me. I agree with a lot of those. You're so right about mayo. If it's been put on the sandwich, the sandwich is lost. I learned that the hard way one day...

      Delete
  4. I am adventurous. I love a lot of variety, I love ethnic cuisines. There are only a few common foods on my “don’t like/won’t eat” list. Oysters, beef tongue, beef liver, octopus, raw clams. I like foods in the “nice kick” range but nothing too spicy.

    Recently I’ve had to. E one much more of a picky eater out of medical necessity, and I am not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medical necessity is something completely different. The things I won't eat are strictly due to taste, not allergies or such. I've never tried oysters, beef tongue, liver, octopus, or raw clams. I'm not planning on trying them, and I suspect they're on my yuck list, too.

      Delete
  5. I detest shrimp. My son can’t stand mayonnaise, either- we either do substitutions like German potato salad or use Greek yogurt. I like coffee but can’t drink it anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look up German potato salad and see if that would work for me. I'm iffy on yogurt. It depends on how its used.

      Delete
  6. I can relate to most of those, but I like pickles and olives and mayo and mustard. And strawberries! I'd be devastated without fresh strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww...I like almost all from the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I specifically chose things for the list that I know most people like. I guess I could call it my weird food aversions list.

      Delete
  8. I dislike most root vegetables - beets, turnips, etc. I can manage radishes sometimes, and potatoes. I can't eat anything spicy and I'm allergic to black pepper, so we eat rather blandly around here, too. Good Thursday Thirteen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not like mayo. Nothing I eat will contain it. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - I like most, if not all, those things you've mentioned. I'm easy to feed!! Cheers and happy weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your list is very similar to Nick's. He's with you on mustard, coleslaw, pickles, ham, avocado, and sour cream. I would assume your hatred of coleslaw comes from your hatred of mayonnaise since it's usually mayonnaise-based (unless it's made differently outside of the south).

    Some of my favorite foods are on your list. I love pickles, ham, and sour cream, and I think the perfect burger or hotdog includes coleslaw (as long as there's chili on it).

    My biggest "weird" food thing is not liking chocolate. That one always seems to shock and sometimes upset people. I don't really like mayonnaise, but I love Miracle Whip. Mushrooms are a total no-go for me. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the coleslaw is part mayo, part the veggies. The consistency...

      With my list, I will not say anything about your chocolate aversion. That just means there's more for me. (I don't hate everything ;)

      Delete
  12. So I'm not the only one who doesn't like avocado! I also don't like tomatoes. I'm big on catsup and tomato sauces, but there's something about tomato skin/seeds that just makes my skin crawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on raw tomatoes. They're great as an ingredient, but on their own...

      Delete
  13. Hmmm, nothing comes to my mind, I guess I like everything, just not too hot spicy. I even like frogs' legs and snails in garlic parsley butter, in a good French way ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most of these are okay for me. Mustard and coffee are common. Strawberries I like in ice-cream. Non-vegetarian stuff, and pickles, I try to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a friend who lives in Las Vegas who rarely eats anything but hamburgers. lol Meanwhile, I'm one who likes all those things, some more than others. I'm thankful my husband shares many of my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people do like those things. It's why things like 4th of July parties (like the one I went to yesterday) are places I don't eat :(

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.