Wednesday, June 7, 2023

That's All, Folks

Summer vacation descended upon me like:

I was going along, working daily, and then there was nothing. Smash. Bam. Done.

The full time teachers filled all the summer school teaching positions, so there will be no summer school class for me. (Although, those teachers might need a sub to fill in for a day here or there, so summer school is not completely out of the question.) 

And I spent last week suddenly without anything to do.

(The last day of school was June 1st. My last working day was the prior Friday. My end of year stats post will go live tomorrow.) 

Whatever am I going to do with my time? I'm going to do my best to enjoy it.

Last Wednesday, I decided I needed to make a Target run. I mean, I didn't really need anything, truly. Although, I picked up a few things that would make a couple projects I was working on work better. 

As I was driving into the parking lot, I noted a restaurant nearby. Pizza enjoys this place quite a lot, and he was in Mr. G's class this past year. And Mr. G's class went to that restaurant on Wednesdays as their usual CBI. 

Nah...

While in Target, I hear my name called. I turned. And sure enough, it was three of the instructional assistants from the adult transition center with a couple students in wheelchairs. 

They told me some of the other students were in the Target. (I did not run into them.) We talked for a bit, and then they were on their way. And I was on mine.

I think I would have been more shocked if I hadn't realized it was Wednesday and knew that that class would likely be there. It was nice to see them. I'm sure I'll get back to that school next school year. 

Now I get to find other things to occupy my time for a couple months. The blog now goes on summer schedule for however long I'm not working. 

(Summer school starts this week, and I'm on the subbing list, so I could work. That ends the week of the 4th of July. Right after that, the alternative education center opens for the month of July. The continuation high school starts the last two weeks of July. And the first day of school is August 10th.)

20 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time off. I wouldn't mind a few weeks off during the summer with the ability to go back to work after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know that there will be work in the fall.

      Delete
  2. One thing about being a teacher, you are often spotted by those former students when you're out and about in the community. It never failed that I'd be at my ratty-ist, just dashing in for a quick coffee when one of the barista's would say, "Hey! Mrs. McKenzie. How's summer treating you? Happy summer vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll probably be busier than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the break while it lasts. Take a trip! Visit local museums! My current city has a lack of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to stay up late reading and not have to get out of bed early in the morning.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to have nothing to do for the past decade or so. I suppose that's the problem when you take the school kids home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you won't get yours until they're grown and moved out.

      Delete
  6. Is volunteer work a possibility? Or travel in your general area (staycation type stuff)? Too bad you can't prewrite your blog posts for the busy months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not actually looking for anything to do, but thanks.

      Delete
  7. How long has it been since you've had a break from subbing? You deserve some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thecontemplativecat here. Summer break! Is there ever anything like summer break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, but it'd be nice if we were having some actual summer weather. Sigh.

      Delete
  9. Other teachers will get the itch to take a day off and you'll end up working a couple days a week. Those other days, go out and explore the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you take a short trip? I'm about to drive to Idaho to visit the brother I haven't seen in years. I'm excited over it, although I doubt we actually do anything while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could take a trip. I don't know if I actually want to take a trip, though.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.