Thursday, June 15, 2023

Randomly, on a Thursday 13

Last week was my first official week of summer vacation. (I had the prior week off, but school was in session, so I could have worked.) And it was a bit of an off week, all things considered. Perfect, though, for a Thursday 13.

1. We were notified that our water would be off Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 8 AM until 5 PM. There are several plumbing issues in the community, and they schedule these things for when people will be at work. And normally I'd be at work. But summer vacation...

2. So, knowing the water would be shut off, I got up early each morning. And then...

3. They never shut the water off. At least, they didn't shut off the water to my building. So, early mornings, for nothing.

4. Since I have time, I've been getting out and doing some walking. It's been a while. It's nice to get some exercise, though.

5. It's evening. I'm sitting in my room, watching TV. And my lamp turns on. From across the room. Without anyone or anything touching it. Then it did the same thing two days later. I guess my room is haunted. By a ghost that likes to turn on the lamp? (More likely it was some electrical surge, but haunted sounds spookier.) 

Haunted lamp

6. I'm trying to think up projects that I want to complete this summer. There are so many things I've let slide for a while, and it's time to get to them. 

7. I had something that fell behind a drawer, so the drawer wouldn't shut. I had to take the whole thing apart (because there was no other way to get behind the drawer) to remove it. It wasn't something that took that long, really. But it was the mental energy required to get it done that I finally have again.

The item that was stuck behind my drawer

8. So, I have this pair of earrings that I love. One broke. But it's something superglue can fix. Easily. Only... Anyway, the earrings are still broken, but I did manage to get my glued together fingers separated. (I was careful. Truly. But not careful enough.)

Still broken

9,. The plug in my bathroom sink broke. Well, not the plug itself, but the mechanism that lowers or raises it. I got down to look and see if I could fix it. I could not. But in the process, I managed to twist my right arm in such a way that my right shoulder was in agony for a couple days.

10. In the trying to fix the stopper thing, I was on the floor of my bathroom. I attempted to get up, lost my balance, and fell on my left knee. At least this time I wasn't fully standing, so the impact wasn't as bad as the last time, but it still hurts. (I'm not limping though, so that's improvement.) 

11. I should probably stick to knitting. My current project is coming along. Slowly. I've been using a dry erase marker to keep track of where I'm at in each row, that that seems to help. 

12. My go-to show for the knitting project is The Food that Built America. Fascinating. And just boring enough that I don't have to pay close attention so I can focus on the hard knitting project. 

13. Next week, we're due to have the electricity shut off for more routine repairs. I'm not sure if I'm hoping for the power to be off or not. Again, it's during the work day, but again, I'll probably be home. But I can probably knit though it...

14 comments:

  1. Reminds me of last year when they gave us notice that the water would be off from 8 am to 8 pm. And they reversed the am/pm, so guess what happened when everyone waited to do their laundry and dishes? It's like it's impossible for these guys to get something right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Stay indoors for a bit because you've had too much bad luck with your health.
    I'd like to think it's a ghostie trying to tell you something...check the wiring maybe?
    It will be nice to see what your creative mind will get to. Did the lady like her water bottle holder? I bet she does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seemed to. At least, the message she sent said it was what she wanted. Yeah, it's probably the wiring. But haunted sounds so much better.

      Delete
  3. I have a lamp like that. It turns on when you tap it. It has never turned on by itself but sometimes it wavers on and off. I hate when stuff falls in the back of drawers because they don't make them to pull out on runners much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could have just pulled the drawer off the runners, that would have made the whole thing easy.

      Delete
  4. Don't laugh, but a haunted lamp would scare me. I used to have dreams long ago of a microwave that was suddenly getting ready to explode and there was nothing I could do to stop it. And, oh dear, maybe working summer positions and not trying household and other repairs might be a good idea....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more repairs for me. Although, things seem to be working, for the moment.

      Delete
  5. I think I would be checking on that lamp. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA...I was reading all that stuff and thinking, WOW, she is having a Pam sort of week! lol...sorry for the fall on the knee, I know that stuff hurts bad. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knee didn't hurt nearly as bad as the last time I fell. I just couldn't put any direct pressure on it. I could stand just fine.

      Delete
  7. It sounds as if you should indeed stick to knitting! And it sounds as if you are very good at that, and enjoy it. Hope your knee feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a week! I like the idea (but only the idea) of the haunted lamp ;) Now that the item that was blocking your drawer is away, it could be fun to use it and make some ponpons! Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, do be careful! I can relate, however. Yesterday I could've broken my thumb drying a heavy pot. ~shakes head~ If I wasn't clumsy I'd be nothing at all. lol Best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading a book where the main character was very clumsy. She was named Grace, which was a great joke.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.