Thursday, October 17, 2019

Sort of a Reward


Eighth grade math. They were doing test corrections. That is, they were going through their tests and reworking the problems they got wrong. This was a mostly voluntary exercise as if they chose not to do it, the teacher wasn't going to force them. It could only improve their grade.

In fact, the teacher told me that if they wanted to mess around watching videos on YouTube or playing video games, she was fine with that. I wasn't about to tell them this, so when they asked what to do after they finished (or if they told me they weren't going to do it), I told them to work on work for another class or read a reading book. (This is my usual speech for when middle schoolers tell me they're finished with the assignment.)

Several of the students were familiar to me from the vacant English class at the beginning of the year. (I will probably say this a lot this school year.)

It was sixth period. A girl called me over. I recognized her. She was one of the good ones. (Several of my problem students were girls, so that doesn't go without saying.)

She showed me her test score. She got 27 out of 27. 100%. Therefore, no corrections to be made.

"Congratulations," I said. "You get a free period."

Because, I totally could have told her she could do other work. And she might have chosen to do so anyway. But I'm totally good with telling her she can watch videos or otherwise veg all period. She earned it.

13 comments:

  1. I do agree! She did the work, did it well, she should be rewarded with a free period. Will probably make her continue to work just as hard the next time.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her! I loved being allowed to read a novel when the teacher approved my completed assignment. You made very fair choices all around, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novel reading is encouraged when they're done with their work.

      Delete
  3. You don't have to tell them what the teacher said. That's just what they're going to do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to handle that. The ones that work hard need a pat on the back from time to time. I always made sure with my kids to praise them and let them do things when they did well with other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's nice when the kiddos who do well get kudos.

      Delete
  5. I don't blame you for rewarding her. Not only did she earn it, but rewards encourage us to do better. Or in her case, to continue to knock it out of the park.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bet she made use of the time - she sounds the sort who would have.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.