Thursday, August 22, 2019

The Vacant Class


When I write next year's end of year post, I get to write this sentence: I did cover the first day of school (and this time, it definitely does count).

The thing about the first day of school is, teachers tend to not miss it. There are very few events that would pull a teacher out of class on that very important day. (One year a teacher took her daughter to start college. Another teacher missed because she was on maternity leave. Those are the only events I can think of.)

This means, when one is covering the first day of school, one is generally covering a vacant class.

Vacant means there is no teacher assigned. No lesson plans. Nothing set up. Thrown in on the first day with no support...

So, when I got the call the day before the first day of school, I asked. "Is this a vacant class?" I was told it wasn't.

Okay, so technically it wasn't. In actuality...

The official teacher is on a leave of absence. His replacement (long term sub) couldn't start until Monday. So, I had all the joys of a vacant class. Whee!

On the bright side, the school was doing a thing for all students in all classes on the first day, so I had a lesson to teach.

And, work on the first day. This is good. Things don't usually pick up for a couple weeks into the school year. Unless one is covering a vacant class...

(Although, I did see teachers already submitting requests for time off. For the second week. So, it has started.)

(Oh, and spoiler alert: the replacement long term sub flaked. Guess who is covering this class for the next two weeks? Well, at least the summer blogging schedule is now at an end 😎)

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for explaining what a vacant class is. At least you have an assignment for 2 weeks and know where you are going. Hoping you like the class??

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you know what you'll be doing for two weeks. Steady paycheck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have a solid assignment for the next two weeks.

    Around here school doesn't start until after Labor Day. And my boyfriend, who is a permanent sub (took the job after he retired, subbing supplements his pension) was told that the school district may not rehire its permanent subs until 2-3 weeks into the school year.He is not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too long ago, we started after Labor Day, too. The start's been inching back. 5 years? Something like that. This is the earliest we've ever started. It's weird. I keep thinking it's September already.

      I wonder why the delay. I suppose the district is hoping to push the teachers not to take days off the first couple weeks? (Our "rehire" stuff came through in July. We had to submit our plan to remain on the sub list by my birthday.)

      Delete
  4. I had this vision of you teaching to an empty classroom, bored because you had no one to torment you. Now you'll have plenty to blog about. And maybe you'll be plenty tormented. A win-win! Not that I would ever torment you My late best friend started as a sub and ended up going permanent; spent all of her "permanent" teaching life teaching elementary school in Brooklyn (mostly 4th grade). I gained a lot of serious respect for teachers from hearing her stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tormented? Uh, yeah, you could say that. I'll be moaning and complaining next week, for sure.

      Delete
  5. What Betty said. I hadn't heard the term 'vacant class' before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the term others were using. I suppose we're abbreviating. Teacher vacancy? Something like that.

      Delete
  6. So what subject have you inherited? And lots of work but I imagine it also means work at home...planning!

    How's the ceiling going?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, at least you have a sense of job security!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised at how often we subs work. It's a pretty steady gig at a certain point.

      Delete
  8. Awesome that you got the job long-term!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a bit of a nightmare, just having to walk in and wing it.

    Sounds like you've done it before though. ;-)

    Cait @ Of Needles and Noodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this is not the first time I've done this. It's hard, but it gets easier.

      Delete
  10. I couldn't remember whether subs are considered independent contractors or temporary employees, so I went over to Google and found an article about a new California law that says when teachers have used up all their sick and vacation leave, they must pay the substitute's salary. That doesn't seem right.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.