Monday, August 26, 2019

I Has a Ceiling!

Oh my! What a week I've had.

You may have noticed that I wasn't around much last week. I got slammed. With everything. And next week doesn't look to be too much better. Apologies in advance. Things should settle in another week or two, but until then, I'm just trying to keep my feet under me.

First things first. I went from this...


...to this...


...to this...


...to this...


...last week. They started on Tuesday and finished on Saturday. And so, now it's finally done. Whew.

(You may remember this all started in January.)

But, as all of this is right above my bed, I spent most of last week displaced in one way or another. The first night I slept on the couch in the living room. The rest of the week I could sleep in my bed, but I had to strip it first thing in the morning and remake it when I got home from work, so the contractor could flip it up towards the wall and out of the way during the day.

All the while, half of my bedroom was in the living room and out of the way. Including my TV. Sigh.

At least I was out of the house while they were working on the ceiling. You may remember I mentioned that vacant English class I was covering all week. Yeah, that kept me from experiencing the full effect of having workmen in the house. I'd leave in the morning and return in the evening to visible progress.

While working has been great, it is tiring. I'd get home with barely enough energy to get that bed remade. And then it was time for my homework. Lesson planning. (If I had the energy to look for a gif, it would be one of someone cheering with no enthusiasm whatsoever.)

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to have the work. And the other teachers have been way supportive in sharing their lesson plans with me. But that doesn't mean I can totally rely on them. They give me the plan, but I have to figure out how to execute it. I have to teach the class. And I have to figure out how I'm going to set up other things, like the classroom, and how to keep up with papers and grading until I hand this class over to someone more permanent.

I've been scrambling with seating charts, classroom control, and getting the basic supplies. The staff has been so helpful. I managed to locate books. I learned to make copies. I got the kiddos their syllabus to start the year off right. I even have a computer and working projector, so I can make slides at home and use them in class.

What I'm saying is, it's been a lot--way more than I'm accustomed to. I'll have posts for this week, but again, I'm going to be very lax in my visiting. I'll get there. But it's going to be late. I hope you understand.

I promise, no more whining this week. I do have a couple good stories to share.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Liz - that's good ... a ceiling ... and no whining. Glad you have a job and can now get home and get straight on with life ... well almost - see you when you're back and around - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome the ceiling is fixed! No more making the bed every day.
    Nice of the staff to help you somewhat. Imagine if you had to do it all on your own?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea with the ceiling! In retrospect, maybe you should have asked for in the damages the money to spend a week in a motel or something. That was a lot you had to deal with for the week! I never like workers in the house, not that they don't do a good job and I've not had any issues with them, I just don't strangers here. Always glad when the job is done. Its good you've been getting the help needed from other teachers and support staff. Have the kids been behaving?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do sound VERY busy. Congrats on having the ceiling repaired. The fan looks pretty sharp. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to have it back. And just in time for a heat wave this week :)

      Delete
  5. Busy lady! I'm glad you have your home back in order. That must have been so frustrating. I'm glad your coworkers are being helpful. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pretty good, all things considered.

      Delete
  6. You're a substitute teacher who has to be the real teacher until further notice. Whine as much as you want. Handsome looking ceiling you finally got. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things always like to happen all at once, don't they? x_x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, yes they do. But I should have my feet under me soon enough.

      Delete
  8. Yippee!!! I bet you just be so happy to have this done. Finally, a ceiling and your room back to norm. It sounds like you are very busy. My poor friend was teaching a summer class and the IT Dept. Was supposed to have some plan made up for the teachers to write up about each student, their tests, scores, essays etc... all in this program. This was supposed to be given to them at the middle of July. They got it last Wednesday! Now they have to do the write up on all their students in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about right. I'm familiar with that sort of scramble.

      Delete
  9. you can whine all you want. Just don't tell us about it..lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz,

    I'm glad you have a ceiling but oh what a pain! You poor thing I can only imagine how tired you are in the evenings and then you have to worry about fixing your bed so you'll have a place to sleep. I think if it were me, I'd be crashing on the sofa every night. lol I know that's not as comfy as one's bed but hey, I understand about low energy. It sounds like you're quite busy with the sub gig. That's brings mixed feelings but more good than negative ones. Best of luck to you in the new school year. I can't beleive we're already there again so soon. Oh yes, don't worry if you're late visiting or if you don't make it at all. I get it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all the after hours work that makes it so tiring I think. You don't walk out of the school gates finished for the day. Makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liz,
    I can imagine how it is when you have so much work to do. I am pretty much in the same state! I have been irregular with my blog as well as catching up with other posts.
    Glad to see that the ceiling is repaired and you have the fan in time for the summer.
    Nothing like having colleagues who are helpful.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In time for the end of summer... Better late than never, really.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.