Monday, August 12, 2019

The Mistakes

I finished all the panels for my windmill bag:


After seeing the inspiration picture again (for last week's post), I decided they needed an edging. That's done too (as you can see from the photo).

Now all that's left is the assembly.

Unlike how I usually am with my projects, I let a few errors slide through. I could have fixed them, but I decided no one would notice (not really), and as this is just a rough draft (so to speak) of this project, finished was better than perfect.

But, I will point out the errors.

1. Half way through this panel, I changed how I did the increase stitches. If you look closely, the bottom looks different than the top:


It was the first panel I made. I could have ripped it out and started over. If I had done that, I don't think I would have continued.

2. After I finished that first panel, I raided my yarn stash for other colors to use. As I finished the second panel, I decided to stick to only four different color yarns. But I did not have enough yarn to finish two more panels. I went to buy another skein of the navy blue and light green:


Navy blue was easy. Alas, I got the wrong light green. It's close, but it's not quite the same. Oops. (Although, the store did not have the right color light green, so this was really the best I could do.)

3. On the last panel I made, on the last couple of pattern repeats, I made a knitting error:


And rather than going back and fixing it (which I normally would totally do), I figured no one would really be able to see it, and I wanted to finish the thing. This is probably the only time I'll ever say I wanted something finished more than I wanted it right.

Now it's just a matter of sewing the panels together:


I think I'll probably edge the top a bit, and then add handles. I'm not sure. I'll keep plugging along, and it should be finished sooner rather than later.

22 comments:

  1. You call them mistakes, I call them personality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The panels are busy with variegated yarn, mistakes don't show ;) It's going to be a fun bag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz - Alex always has great ideas ... I love your colours ... and I was positive about your 'mistakes' ... experiments but in the windmill bag - it'll be flying around and we won't see those mini blips - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that you continued then. Imperfect is better than none at all, right? I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made loads of progress since writing this. I may have a finished bag sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  6. Your color choices really compliment one another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't see any of the mistakes you mentioned. Maybe a "pro" would but to the "average" eyes, they still look good!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is perfection in inperfection is what I like to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure it will look awesome and you will be the only one to really notice any mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's turning out to be larger than I had hoped, but otherwise it seems to be fine.

      Delete
  10. These are great and love the colours. I think the edging is a good colour as I like the difference. I think having a mistake and keeping it in is a good thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen on mistakes, but this is a "first draft", so mistakes are to be expected.

      Delete
  11. You may have heard about certain people who intentionally put errors in their work because a human can not make a perfect project. It's a good viewpoint. It makes a good reason to keep on and not frog your work unless it's horrible. I don't see "horrible" here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is more of a first draft. And I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I wouldn't put a deliberate mistake in, but in this case, it's not going to be all that noticable.

      Delete
  12. The colours look pretty and I don't think anyone will notice the mistakes unless you point them out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.