Friday, August 23, 2019

Introductions


Yesterday I whined about getting stuck with a vacant class. But this wasn't my first rodeo. Even when the sub caller told me it wasn't a vacant class, I prepped for the day as if it was. And that saved my butt.

Because while there was a school-wide activity prepped for the first day, there wasn't one for the second.

I decided to have the kiddos interview each other.

It was a simple activity. I prepped ten questions for them to ask each other. Then I gave them a sentence frame to insert their partner's answers into. Finally, everyone got a chance to read their sentence frames out loud.

The seventh graders did very well. The most popular wish was to ask for more wishes. I was surprised how many students considered Alfredo their favorite food. One student told how his partner had gone to Ohio over the summer. The partner clarified that he had actually gone to Idaho.

The eighth graders...

Yeah. Um. They finished interviewing each other. That was cool.

However, we did not have time for them to read their interview answers. Because, um, yeah, it took that long to get through the interviews.

Did I mention last year how horrible the seventh graders were? I may not have. But let me just say, um, yep, horrible. And this year they're eighth graders.

On the bright side, that means we'll probably go through half as many lessons. And hopefully, the honeymoon period will last until they get a teacher in to cover the class for the rest of the year.

17 comments:

  1. Some classes are just better than others, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And some years. It's weird. I bet Drew has seen it.

      Delete
  2. The interview lesson sounds like it could be both interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart thinking. I have to think that maybe there's just something wrong with that entire year of students. Maybe something got in the water about fifteen years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like that interview assignment. Good way to "kill" time and get to know their classmates more.

    What happens if they can't find a teacher who will take the class?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would think they would get better at reading the older they get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fingers crossed that those 7th graders grew mentally into being 8th graders. You would think that interviewing another student would be fun and they would get to know a little bit more of each other. I have said it before and I will say it again, it takes a special to teach! And work in a day care...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, 7th graders aren't usually the horror this group was. If they've grown into typical 8th graders...

      No, it's bad. I've already changed their seating chart a couple times. They've been in school 7 days. Friday they yelled at me because they didn't remember a deadline I had given them.

      Delete
  7. That was a good plan! Too bad you couldn't write a blog about all the questions and answers, because I have a feeling some might be quite interesting. It's sad, in a way, finding the 8th graders, given a year to mature, have not exactly progressed. Good luck this year. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answers weren't as good as you'd expect. A couple notable ones (which I already mentioned), but mostly stuff about siblings and the usual favorite foods.

      Delete
  8. And, so, the agony begins.
    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good exercise. Glad one grade level went off well, and hope the 8th grade improves as the years goes forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year's 8th graders should be fine ;) This year... Well, once I'm out of this class, I'll try to limit my time with that level.

      Delete
  10. Good luck with those... teach them how to knit, they will focus ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like maybe they grew up a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that interview activity. It gets them to focus and build practical skills for the day they look for a job, apply for a loan, and so forth.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.