Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Were-People

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Because of recommendations via Bluesky, I leapt in and watched My Lady Jane on Amazon Prime. And, that show is wackadoodle. In a good way. Kind of. 

The show is an alternative history type of thing, where Tudor England has a conflict between two kinds of people: Verities, who are just like us, and Ethians, who can shapeshift into animals. The Ethians are "outlawed", but that leads to issues, because how can you outlaw people? 

While watching, I got to thinking. It's kind of too bad that there are no actual shifters in our real world. (And I have not done too many fantasy-type of questions lately.) So...

What if there were some people in our world who could shift into animals? 

12 comments:

  1. I would shapeshift into a cat when it was convenient, like when I don't want the responsibilities of humanhood, like paying bills. That's the worst. And lay around in a sunspot all day, demand food from someone, anyone would do. Or if someone was hassling me I'd shapeshift into a wolf or tiger, and laugh inside when they couldn't get away fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just might make some people a lot more kinder to animals. Or, try to get rid of the shape-shifters. Could go either way. I wouldn't risk it if I were one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people are already animals in human shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lime Strayer, I want to be a cat. A pampered house cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd hope they all looked like Kate Beckinsdale from the the Underworld series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you believe werewolves are a thing, we already have shape shifters. I could use this talent from time to time, although I'm not sure what animal I would shift into. Perhaps a song bird. I would love to be able to fly, but wouldn't love being a prey animal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an entire unpublished novella series featuring young shapeshifters' travails. They wish to integrate with pure humans while earlier generations are superstitious and an evil sorcerous race secretly struggles to eradicate all 'shifters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would be awesome! I would like to be one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of Space 1999. There was a character, introduced in the 2nd season I believe, where she could shape-shifting into an animal.
    I'd love it! That would be so cool and I'd want to be one who could shape-shifting. Mind you, I would always want to be a hi.an when I have to go to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. shape shifting.....just so long as I was one that could shift

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a thrilling — and terrifying — "what if?"
    Imagining a world where people could shift into anything adds a chilling layer of uncertainty.
    How could you ever trust who or what you see, knowing anyone might transform into something dangerous at any moment?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.