Wednesday, August 21, 2024

That Shaking Feeling

Monday (last week). Thursday was the first day of school. I had asked for a day to get set up, and I had been granted two. So, I had a few errands to run before I got locked down with work.

I was eating breakfast* when the room started swaying. Earthquake. 

Roommate actually felt this one. She called out. I agreed that we were having an earthquake. And that's when it should have been over. Only it wasn't. 

"This is a long one."

But, eventually it stopped. (They always do.) 

I finished eating my breakfast, and then got ready to go out and do the stuff I needed to do.

We've had a few earthquakes of late. This one wouldn't have made the blog either. Only, somehow it made national news. ???

I mean, big ones make national news. Ones with major destruction. But this one? I guess a few people were broadcasting when it happened. Maybe? 

All I know is that I kept hearing about it the next day. And I figured you might have as well. So, that made it notable, if only for it not being that notable. 

(*If you clicked on the link and noticed that the earthquake was at 12:20 PM and also noticed that I said I was eating breakfast... Yeah? It was my last day of summer vacation. I slept in.) 

I saw a post on social media shortly thereafter that really summed up how we seem to react to earthquakes. I thought I'd share:

Just had an earthquake here on OC. For those outside of CA, this is how it goes:  Earthquake in seconds in CA:  1-2: is that the dog scratching? 3-4: is there a truck outside? 5-7: I think it's an earthquake. 8-10: Yep, definitely an earthquake. 11-15: Do I need to get up? I don't really want to get up. 16-20: Doesn't seem that bad. I don't think I need to get up. 21-25: I think it's over. Is it over? Yeah, I think it's over.

In case you can't read the image:

Just had an earthquake here on OC.

For those outside of CA, this is how it goes:

Earthquake in seconds in CA:

1-2: is that the dog scratching?
3-4: is there a truck outside?
5-7: I think it's an earthquake.
8-10: Yep, definitely an earthquake.
11-15: Do I need to get up? I don't really want to get up.
16-20: Doesn't seem that bad. I don't think I need to get up.
21-25: I think it's over. Is it over? Yeah, I think it's over.

15 comments:

  1. Yes, I have the same reaction. Sit. Lol, when we had chickens they would always feel it first and start clucking and getting all worked up. Now we have a little house rabbit, she will let out a series of thumps telling the earth to knock it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we need--a rabbit to stop the shaking.

      Delete
  2. I heard about it. Not significant for you. Something of that magnitude would be big news here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't big enough to do any damage, so we just go about our day. It's when things get damaged that we worry.

      Delete
  3. I know I saw someone mention the quake online, so maybe it was you. Good for you for being able to sleep that late. I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how we get used to our environment. Would be scary for me (I've been through a couple of small earthquakes over the years) ho-hum for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's that initial shock. The first moment of shaking that comes out of nowhere. But then I know what it is, and I know it'll be over in a few seconds.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're safe and thanks for the giggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they remain this minor, I think we'll be okay. (I just worry that we're having a bit of a cluster, and that can mean these are foreshocks for something bigger...)

      Delete
  6. I did read about it! It's funny how those who don't live in CA (or in my case, used to live in CA) react. Add to that reaction chart a pre-earthquake question I'd been known to ask. "Why is Anna acting so odd, is there going to be an earthquake?" Anna being the dog who would feel one coming. The only time I got up was when my son was little, the fish tank was sloshing over, the news reporter in Sacramento was feeling it, so I dragged him under a supporting beam. That was Loma Prieta. Other ones? Just sighed over getting new cracks in the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow back to school already, it seems awfully early. Oh boy I experienced the big earthquake in Seattle in 2000 0r 2001. And more recently we had one here in NY this summer. It was big for NY 4.3 I believe. I was sitting in front of my computer. But I knew what was happening, They really are something else.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I heard about your earthquake. Hopefully they stay insignificant in size.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.