Friday, August 30, 2024

Faked

It was Friday of the second week of school, and the kiddos were working on an assignment called Science About Me. It consisted of questions like "favorite source of energy (favorite food)" and "favorite use of electricity". 

One of the questions was "phase of the moon on the day you were born". I took some time to explain how to search that up online. (I made a joke about wondering how they didn't know this already.) 

As it was an assignment destined to be posted in the classroom (I took last year's versions down my first day in the room), I encouraged them to draw pictures and make it colorful. 

One of the students questioned what color to make his moon. 

Me: The moon is gray. And it smells like gunpowder.

A couple students questioned me on that statement. I explained about the astronauts who went to the moon stating this. 

The student: The moon landings were faked... (Quietly, under his breath.)

Deep sigh. 

I did, of course, push back. But apparently I have my work cut out for me.

19 comments:

  1. Ugh. Hopefully as time goes on he will rethink everything his parents have told him, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. It'll take a couple years, though, I fear.

      Delete
  2. I had a grandparent who went to his grave believing the moon landing was faked. I have read about the gunpowder smell of moon dust that was tracked into the landers, and there are scientific theories about why. It's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice your link but I read it in the same article you linked to. Great minds!

      Delete
    2. It was a similar article that taught me the gunpowder thing, and I pull that out whenever I get the slightest opening.

      Delete
  3. Strange if people still think the moon landing was faked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering how far space travel has progressed since 1969 …🙄

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel bad for the kids getting such misinformation from their families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad for kids (or anyone) to be so misinformed. Perhaps ask him if the earth is round?

    ReplyDelete
  7. People make the sun yellow in art. It actual white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow....wonder who that kid has been talking too? FAKE! And yes, I knew it was gray but yellow just looks so much prettier in art! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason the conversation came up was because the kiddo didn't want to get out a colored pencil for that box. The moon looks yellow from our perspective (or red or pink or whatever).

      Delete
  9. I'm so old, the moon wasn't invented yet when I was born.
    Okay, just kidding, it was a waning crescent.
    But, the moon was still under warranty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, you're so old that you remember watching the moon landings as they happened...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.