Thursday, August 22, 2024

Tortilla Slap

The first day of school. And I began a long-term in a seventh grade science class. 

In our district, seventh grade is the beginning of middle school. (I know some districts begin middle school with sixth grade. That's why I'm being specific.) And as such, the seventh graders are brand new to the school.

So, the school decided to make the first day of school a kind of seventh grade orientation. Instead of going to all their classes, the seventh graders stayed with their first period teacher for the full day of icebreaking games, a tour of the school, an overview of how the schedule works, and an assembly to welcome the new students. 

(I was given the schedule ahead of time, so I knew what was coming.) 

For a first day, things went fairly well. The eighth grader who was leading the group did a fantastic job. (Although, her tour guide skills do need improvement.) I didn't have to jump in too much. 

But then we went to the assembly...

I have made my dislike of assemblies abundantly clear on this blog. The problem with this assembly, though, was more technical. The sound system was so awful that I could barely make out what the presenter was saying. 

I got the gist as when various administrators were introduced, I already knew who they were. However, the students, who are new, wouldn't have figured out what they were talking about. So, they were bored.

Things could have gone worse. The kiddos were on first day best behavior. If they had tried this later in the year...

But what was notable about the assembly (and why I'm writing a blog post about it), was the last game they played. The earlier games were the usual things such as musical chairs (with a race component) and dodge ball. They did a tug of war. There was even a finish the lyric.

They finished the assembly with a game called rock-paper-scissors... tortilla.

I had never heard of this before, but apparently it's a thing. Mr. S, the leadership teacher, and Mr. F, a history teacher (who's also been doing some leadership stuff), faced off in rock-paper-scissors. The winner slapped the loser with a tortilla.

I... Uh...

I'm sure the students would have enjoyed it way more if they were more familiar with Mr. S and Mr. F. But they enjoyed it just fine. I, however, was mystified by the whole thing.

Just when I thought I'd seen everything...

20 comments:

  1. Ok, that sounds strange, the rock paper scissors tortilla slap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what tortilla is... But if students are happy and creative, good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Mexican flatbread that is used to wrap food, most famously burritos.

      Delete
  3. Being that it's a Tic Tok thing, and this is in school, I question the wisdom of playing. I would have a problem with any game where the loser, or anyone, was slapped with anything. Now expect the students to be slapping tortillas around. Can't fairly ban it now! Sometimes the administration just doesn't think. A principal of a high school in my former area was taken to task for having separate assemblies (to inspire them to improve) for different students based on the race they identified as. With different elements, different music, "their" race's music. The principal didn't last past one more school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the tortilla slap game on TikTok but I never thought I would hear about it at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They try to keep up to date on the trends. So up to date that I'd never heard of this one.

      Delete
  5. I can't help but think this is a bad idea, to promote slapping with anything. Even a soft tortilla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of rock paper scissors lizard Spock but not one with a tortilla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a surprise (not) a Tik-Tok challenge. I stay far away from Tik-Tok. I can see the appeal of this to young adults (the point seems be holding water in your mouth for the entire round of paper-rock-scissors and not bursting out laughing, plus the slap. I don't think it's appropriate for a 7th grade assembly but that's just me, I guess. As for the Spock-lizard variation, guess I should have watched more TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was another game that kinda squigged me out, but it went so badly that it was hard to figure out what they were doing.

      Delete
  8. The winner slaps the loser with a tortilla? Oh geez. I would have to be in a terrible state of boredom for that to even sound fun (even for a little while).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I suppose it would have been if we had been closer. Maybe?

      Delete
  10. I guess it is a "thing". But what an odd activity to become a "thing"! My granddaughter was at soccer practice last week. One of the girls brought cupcakes for everyone (it was her birthday). At the end of practice, I noticed the girls trying to "slap" each other using the cupcake wrappers and laughing uncontrollably. My GD explained about the popularity of the tortilla slap. Like I said, very odd!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.