Thursday, August 29, 2024

Collapsing

It's the first full week of school, and the schedule changes have started...

I know better than to create seating charts in ink or to make a pretty class roster sheet as there will be students moving in and out for a bit. But this is ridiculous. 

On Wednesday, the teacher next door, Ms. W, told me that one of the seventh grade math teachers took a different position. Instead of hiring another teacher, the administration began dismantling those classes, distributing the students to other teachers. I didn't get specifics, only that one teacher took over one of the periods, which meant the students she had that period had to go elsewhere...

It's a logistical nightmare. And not my job.

What is my job, though, is to process the students whose schedules got impacted by all of this. 

First period. I noticed that one student wasn't on my attendance any longer. I figured he hadn't been notified of his schedule change yet. Then I got an email saying that any students that were no longer enrolled in our classes should be sent to the office. So, I gently told the boy he would have to go. 

Not five minutes later a student aide came in to give me the boy's new schedule. Deep sigh.

(The boy was switched into my fifth period class.)

And so, all day I had new students. And students pulled out of class as they were sent elsewhere. 

Fifth period. We were a bit into it when I got a call. Another teacher asked me to send her one of my now former students as she was to be in English then instead of science. How the teacher knew where the student was is a mystery to me, as I would have sent the boy in first period to his proper class if I had known how to figure it out. 

So, I gently explained to the girl that her schedule was also different. 

And remember, these seventh graders are brand new to this school. So, add this confusion on top of it all...

At least I got my seating charts done before all this started. (With post-it notes for each student, so it's easy to move them around.) If I can just keep on top of the changes daily, I should be able to keep things organized. But what a nightmare.

15 comments:

  1. sounds like a lot of confusion to me......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, so much confusion. And I'm still dealing with the fallout...

      Delete
  2. Ugh, a nightmare for teachers and the students! They should've hired a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who took over a class while they hunted for a replacement... that would have had issues, too. There are no good solutions here.

      Delete
  3. Trauma that these students don't need right now is right. You don't need it either. You all have enough to cope with. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's been time. When I'm glad it not my job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a mess! Hope it’ll get better…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's settled the last couple days, so we might have just finished this mess. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of this. But I've been out of school and away from such things for a very long time. However, when I was in school, you were assigned your classes before you got there, and that is where you stayed. This sounds more like in college, where you could drop a class and change classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they're assigned classes before school starts. If that teacher hadn't left... Well, even then, there are always changes due to mistakes, class changes, and enrollment changes. Some students don't start on time. We didn't notice this as students, but I have a feeling it happened to a lesser degree back then, too.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.