Friday, April 30, 2021

Zero Game

I've written this post before. Many times, actually. And I'm sure I'll write it many times after this. Because, kids.

Because hybrid classes (some students online, some in person), and because when Ms. R created the plans for her maternity leave while we were still all in distance learning, the assignments are all online. (Although, eighth grade English was largely in Google Classroom before the pandemic. The distance learning thing just pushed the rest of it online.) 

So, every day the in-person kiddos come into the classroom and log in on their computers.

Thursday. First period.

They were to watch two videos on women in World War 2. (One on Rosie the Riveter and one on the WASPs.) Then they had questions to answer.

The co-teacher was doing her usual circulating around the room when she happened upon Diego. With a game going on his computer. 

Deep sigh.

And he pulled the "I have no idea how that got on my screen" ploy

What makes this particularly stupid is that we had only seven students in the classroom. It's not like we're not going to notice.

When they're at home, we can't police them. We hope the parents do that, but in reality, their parents are probably as busy if not more so. But when the kiddos are in the room with us? 

I have a pretty good idea why Diego's parents sent him back to in-person.

20 comments:

  1. Oh yes, this kind of kid 😉 I bet too the parents are too happy to send him to school 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some kids just need to be in person, so someone is actually being paid to stop them from playing video games all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Barbarians have both been caught doing this. although I am sure they've done it far more often than they've been caught (they are super swift at keyboard controls to switch screens). But they are finally getting older and are much more on-task now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine the new struggles for teachers in this day and age. Computers themselves, plus online... I was in college when the internet was a baby. You have your work cut out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And phones and social media. It's all so easy to get distracted nowadays.

      Delete
  5. Hi Liz - kids will be kids and some worst than others ... not realising the value they're missing - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Technology may come and technology may go but kids will be kids. Maybe it's good that we have some constants in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every new technology was greeted with "but it'll destroy the kids".

      Delete
  7. Some kids, uh! :-) I worked in primary schools for more than 13 years, so, I've got a fair idea of what goes down in some classrooms.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These kids can't keep away from games! And he seems to have carried to the class the habit from home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Diego, he has no idea he's only hurting himself. I'm so glad I didn't have a computer or cell phone as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, you've written a lot of fascinating A to Z for last month. Its funny some adults are even better at pulling classic ruses too and still haven't grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah! Kids! And you do always notice that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have taught exclusively online for over three years now. I have some strategies that seem to work well in my classes, but in the end, if a kid decides to not pay attention or do something else, there is really nothing I can do about it (other than report it to their parents) and they know it.

    I've stopped pulling my hair out about it. But I have that luxury being thousands of miles away from my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows in their grades. I can only do so much, and I'm okay with that.

      Delete
  13. We have struggled with similar things at home with my kids. Which is why when in person school opened up, first two half days, then five have days and now full instruction we were ready to send them back to school. With a computer in front of them.. it's like they have the whole world at their finger tips, it's hard for them to see the bigger picture and not give in to temptation.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.