Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Remembered, Eventually

The week after spring break I started a new long term assignment: eighth grade English. And since the district just transitioned to hybrid learning, that meant that I was back on campus.

Because it's a long-term, I checked out keys to the classroom and I checked out a school computer. That means I don't need to go into the office to see the secretary I check in with. But she does need to know I'm on campus. 

She told me to call her daily to let her know I'm present. 

Day 2 of the assignment. Tuesday. As I got on campus, calling the secretary was on my mind. "I need to call the office immediately." 

But, I have a co-teacher who gets to campus way earlier than me. She was already in the room when I arrived. We got to talking, and...

About halfway through second period I remembered I hadn't called the secretary. But I got distracted before I could call, and...

It was halfway through SIXTH period when I finally called. You know, the end of the day. 

Ahem. 

The rest of the week, I called immediately upon arrival. Funny how messing up Tuesday made me pay way more attention after.

16 comments:

  1. I have this terrible issue of thinking of something I need to do then something gets my attention and I totally forget. Sometimes I remember, other times I don't.....and a lot of times that memory comes to me when I lay down to sleep. Those are when I hate the memory coming back to me! At least you called...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be nice if we could think of things in the moment that we can take care of them?

      Delete
  2. I suppose if she was worried about it she probably would have called you. At least you remembered the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the last day is not too late ;)) I guess she supposed you would call if you weren't coming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Distracted much?

    How’s the hybrid learning going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different. But the same as distance learning, mostly.

      Delete
  5. Sixth period! XD Well, she didn't specify when you had to call her, so you're technically in the clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like J E Oneil's excuse. I tend to get easily distracted nowadays. I was supposed to be doing something else, but here I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, she did say to call her when I arrived in the morning. Whoops.

      Delete
  7. I hope calling later in the day didn't screw things up in some way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. Kiddos waiting outside would have been noticed, so she knew I had to be on campus.

      Delete
  8. I think your first day is the easiest one to excuse because there's always so much more organising etc to do on the first day (and that's the excuse you should stick to ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the same. It usually takes something going wrong for me to remember to do (or not do) something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm grateful that folks seem understanding. :) It is so easy to let something like that slip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, she would have known if I wasn't on campus.

      Delete
  11. Liz, this is something that keeps happening to me, of late. I don't know if something to do with age, or the inability keep track of multiple things.
    I think of doing something, and if I decide to do it even after five minutes, most often, I would forget.
    Now if something has to be done, then I immediately do it. If I can't then I reach my phone, and set an alarm !

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.