Friday, April 16, 2021

Notes on the Second First Day

Someone, ahem, forgot to photograph the room I was in the first day back, so this photo of the long-term room will have to do. Hey, it's been a while. I'll get back in the habit soon enough.

Our first day back to in-person learning was the last day before spring break. (There were Reasons for this.) I had just finished the long-term assignment for Ms. A's class, and my next long-term didn't start until after spring break, so I got a lone one-day assignment. Math, special ed. 

The day was interesting... 

  • First period I had one student show up. Alas, he belonged to the wrong cohort (the cohort that was supposed to remain at home on this day), so he had to be sent home.
  • Another student showed up late for first period. Alas, she didn't know she was supposed to bring her Chromebook with her, so she was unable to do the assignment that was online.
  • The in-person students looked at me strangely when I'd just start talking to the computer. I had eight students who were still doing distance.
  • Third period I was to have one student in class, and he showed up.
  • The room had seating for ten students. I let the students sit where they liked (provided it was approved seating--a chair with a plexiglass partition). Naturally, no two students chose the same seat all day.
  • This meant that when the custodian asked which desks he needed to wipe down, I had four desks to point out. But this is fewer than ten, so he didn't have to reclean all the desks.
  • Oh, the students do get wipes to clean their desks when they leave, and we have the option of letting them clean their desks when they arrive. 
  • Fifth period (we were on block schedule, so only three periods met) I had one in-person student of the two who were supposed to be there.
  • The other in-person student showed up to the virtual meet. I let her know she was supposed to be in class, but she got credit for attending the virtual meet.
  • Another student, upon finding out he was supposed to be on campus, asked how he could change that. (He didn't want to attend in person. He's not the only one. The office was getting calls all day about changing from in-person to virtual.) 

I was worried about being in classrooms with lots of students. It turns out, most don't want to return just yet, which means that the classrooms aren't packed. With plexiglass partitions, open doors and windows, constant airflow, and masks, things are pretty safe.

We'll see how this goes going forward.

24 comments:

  1. Starting to open up things here slowly. Heard that they are going to open up state offices again at the end of the month but it will depend on the supervisior about requesting or not requesting everyone to come in. I am going to start going in more next week, I am working on old files. Its nice that your don't have a full class load yet. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, the campus is pretty empty, although it's way more full than when I was on campus in the fall.

      Delete
  2. we have been doing hybrid learning in NY for awhile. it takes a few days but you'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been at it a week now. Yeah, I'm getting into the rhythm.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are on a yo-yo with one coming in and another who doesn't. some in class while other through the computer..ughhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit like that. We're finding our footing. Slowly.

      Delete
  4. Just sounds like more confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on, who would EVER want to return to school?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We never did have to go to that level of covid restrictions here. The Barbarians are pretty much doing school as per normal. There are restrictions for parents, but not the kids. Really lucky, at the moment (keeping fingers crossed it lasts, but you just never know).

    ReplyDelete
  7. So few Ss to contend with in class. That must feel strange for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different. But it'll feel like normal in next to no time.

      Delete
  8. Everything is wide open here in Idaho, and I still wear a mask.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this: " ... when I'd just start talking to the computer. ..." :-)

    Well, here it is going to be a long way before we return to the premises. After reaching a low of around 12,000 new cases a day in India just a couple of months ago, we have done a quick about turn and currently going at 260,000 a day! ...

    My city of residence, Bengaluru, of 9 million people, is reporting 11,000 new cases a day. It had dipped to a mere 200 a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - it's an interesting time ... but also interesting to hear your take on it - re your school. Stay safe and calm ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your commendable support for students who need education and public health and safety these days

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liz,Thank you for that fascinating post. I've seen a few teachers take hybrid classes, I haven't taken any yet and your post gives me hope. Thank you for everything that you are doing for your students. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so bad. It was more scary in anticipation.

      Delete
  13. I'm exhausted just reading about your day, Liz! How interesting, though. Everything about school is so complicated by the pandemic. My niece teaches H.S. French and just went back to in person teaching last week.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.