Thursday, April 22, 2021

Scare

First period, Thursday. I got a call from one of the assistant principals (AP). 

"The student that we pulled out... Don't touch his desk."

We hadn't been in first period more than five minutes (the co-teacher had barely started class) when security arrived. He asked if a student was in class. He was. Security removed the student. 

(In the before times, this was common, so I didn't think much of it. I figured he hadn't completed his self check or something.) 

The co-teacher went back to teaching the class. 

The phone call was quite a bit later. 

It wasn't until after class that the AP explained as she had us vacate the room. (We were moved to an empty classroom for the next period while they deep cleaned ours.) 

The student may have had Covid the week prior. Or, he had been in contact with someone who had. (The story changed over the course of the day.) He had been told to stay home this week, but he will be cleared to be on campus next. We'll see. 

And... I can't say that I was in "close contact" with him. He was in the room for less than fifteen minutes. He was farther than six feet from me the whole time. We were both wearing masks. And we were both behind plexiglass partitions. 

And I'm two weeks past my second vaccine dose. 

Still, it's a bit disconcerting. 

Ah, the joys of schooling in the dread plague era.

13 comments:

  1. I would have thought they would have moved everyone out of the room as soon as they knew. From what I understand, and it does change all the time, touching his desk wouldn't be the issue, now it's the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was masked. We have air circulating. And he wasn't close to anyone. That's why we have so many layers of protection.

      Delete
  2. I can see how it could still give you a bit of a scare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm fully vaxxed and I would be concerned. Most of my office was sent home and has not returned, but from time to time, there's been a positive at the office. As far as I know, those positives have never led to additional cases, even before the vaccines. So I can hope the same for your school, but it still is scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. I have not heard of any positives, and he was back on campus today (and permitted to remain).

      Delete
  4. Scarry for sure. Teachers in France are not a priority for vaccine, scarry too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are still cases of people contracting covid after being vaccinated so I understand your concern. Now they're saying the pfizer vax will actually need a 3rd dose (and then the annual boosters). Everyone is learning on the fly with this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think this covid going away any time soon.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just shows the scary aspects of every day routine!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.