Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Long-Term Thoughts

I don't talk too much about long-term subbing assignments here on the blog as I don't generally do too many long-term assignments. I'm not a fan. 

But, with the pandemic year and fewer day-to-day subbing assignments, I ended up stumbling into a couple. First, there was the one at the beginning of the school year. Then, I happened into this English class that I've been talking about for all of March.

Right before I started Ms. A's class, I did a day assignment for Ms. R's co-teacher. Ms. R asked if I would be willing to cover her class when she went out on maternity leave in April. Figuring we would still be doing the distance thing, and frankly, figuring that it would somehow fall through, I agreed. 

Which is why right after finishing up Ms. A's English class, I'm starting Ms. R's English class, and I'll be covering that until almost the end of the school year. 

And, just at this transition, the district is opening back up for hybrid learning. This means I'll be on campus with the students who have chosen to come back to in-person learning. 

Still with me? 

The week before spring break, we were given prep time, sort of. The students were "asynchronous", meaning they had work, but we didn't meet for class. Those were my last days with Ms. A's classes. I played catch up on grading.

I also got to attend the opening up staff meetings, so I'd know the protocols for this hybrid thing. And I got a chance to meet with Ms. R so I'm ready for her classes.

It was a weird week. 

And now, my blog transitions from distance learning to hybrid learning. This should be interesting.

20 comments:

  1. hybrid learning...before 2020 did you even hear that term? and now it's routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Synchronous, asynchronous, hybrid, comodal, our daily work ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's why you have to be careful about assuming it would fall through. Time to go figure out a new way of teaching now that you've finally got distance learning down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We learn to discover the unknown dimensions of magnificence in our universe, however not everything is worth knowing or fighting for on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. The week before spring break was weird. This week has settled into a routine. Sort of.

      Delete
  6. The only thing constant in this day and age is constant change. I think I sort of got what you were saying....maybe. Oh, I still owe you an explanation of the difference between a village and a city in New York State. All I can say is "it's complicated". New York State is divided into counties. Counties are divided into towns. A village is part of a town. Certain government services are provided to residents by the village and others are provided by the town. Taxes go partially to the village and partially to the town. A city, on the other hand, is not part of a town. It provides its own services and gets the tax revenue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think hybrid is the worst. The Barbarians had a little of that during transition back to in-class learning last year. I hope you find it better than we did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our world is changing. We're all on a ride.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, never a dull moment, huh. The only constant in the universe is change, they say.
    Hang in there, Liz :-)

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2021/04/a-z-2021-life-is-what-you-make-of-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. As my mom would say, "Just stick to your knitting." But you already do that, and it probably helps you deal with all the change that's coming your way. Will you have some time off after the regular school year ends or will there be summer school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not heard about summer school as of yet. They don't need a lot of subs for that, though. (Although, I've been working consistently this school year, so I'd best not count anything out.)

      Delete
  11. I can't wait for new posts about hybrid learning. That concept will be completely new.

    New Post - https://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2021/04/vichy-aqualia-thermal-rehydrating-rich.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tune in next week. I've got a couple doozies.

      Delete
  12. This hybrid format is quite a challenge, that is what I have realised.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a roller coaster ride and you are going through a couple of tunnels.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.