Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Chutzpah


Integrated math 2. This is the math class that used to be geometry, or sophomore level math. They had their test study guide to work on (which was basically what their test was going to look like, only with different numbers).

Fifth period. Herbert walked in and immediately grabbed a Chromebook. I told him to put it back as they had a different assignment that day.

Tenth grade (fifteen-year-olds) is an interesting time. They're transitioning from a middle school mindset to a more mature outlook. Some groups are further along in this progression than others.

Fifth period had a mix of those who were determined to figure out the material and those whose weren't going to do much at all. This is pretty typical for that age.

I had just been helping a couple students navigate a problem that looked like: 2 + (-2 + 6i) + (3 - 4i) where i is an imaginary number. I looked over at the teacher's desk, and...
HERBERT WAS SITTING THERE, PLAYING A GAME ON THE DESKTOP COMPUTER!!!

Yes, I am shouting. Because that was so beyond...

Students do not sit at the teacher's desk. I mean, some will try at the beginning of the period. Some try at the end. But it's a game they play. In the middle of the period, they sit at their desks.

I generally leave the computer on with my day's temporary password for the attendance program input so I can quickly do the roll at some point during the period. I feel comfortable doing this because the kiddos don't sit at the teacher's desk, and it's generally safe to do so.

So, when I looked up and saw Herbert at the desk...

"Uh, no. Nope. Nope. Nope."

I have to say, he got up pretty fast. And the screen was back to the attendance program.

But then he turned around, sat down again, and said, "I'm the teacher."

I just kept calmly repeating "nope" until he returned to his seat.

Why couldn't he be a normal teen and just sneak the game on his phone? I mean, that's what the rest of them were doing.

Yesterday I had a student in class (English) who had been in this class (last week). Apparently their teacher wasn't too keen on this either. Herbert was suspended from her class for three days.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good. I was hoping you'd let me know if it wasn't quite right.

      Delete
  2. We would also accept "balls."
    I've said it before. I'll say it again. I've been in your shoes. Going back?
    Nope.
    God bless you for what you do.
    Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to say about those Herberts in the world that there was already a prison # on his chest. It is bit depressing, but helping the Herberts are almost impossible. You were remarkably patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he's a lost cause just yet. I don't think he's quite continuation high school material. Yet.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I'm not sure what his thought process was there. Like, did he actually think he'd get away with it? Or did he not think things through that little?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that the teacher took action! Hopefully next time Herbert will remember who the teacher is!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were much better about it than I would have been! I hope your notes to the teacher were...detailed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well he thinks he is all that doesn’t he. My friend works at a very, very expensive private school and there is one kid who has been written up for bullying. He feels very entitled and has even bullied a teacher. They have written him up and the teachers are combining to have this kid sent back to his country. My friend gave him a mark on his assignment and he told her she was wrong and must change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be horrified by that story, but I'm not. I've met kiddos who would try that.

      Delete
  8. Touching anything on a teacher's desk would have been inconceivable to me at that age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still is, which is why this incident was so beyond. She even said not to let them touch anything on her desk, and not a one student (besides Herbert) even attempted it.

      Delete
  9. Maybe he's angry at the world because his parents named him Herbert. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that was my blog revenge. I never use real names, so sometimes I pick something just to tweak them a little (see: Blaine).

      Delete
  10. What a putz. Heh... I think Yiddish words are awesome. Funny enough, I somehow knew many terms from childhood, long before marrying a man of Jewish descent. Go figure. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how many comedians of Jewish descent wrote for TV in the '50s and '60s, I think most of us have a passing familiarity with them.

      Delete
  11. If only we could see into the future. Will he use his chutzpah for good or evil?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.