Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Change of Plans


"Oh good. You're here."

This was a rather strange greeting from the secretary, especially as I was pretty early.

She explained that I was listed as there for a half day in the afternoon for a teacher who had no idea she was out. But before I had a chance to freak out, the secretary said she had another gig for me.

A biology teacher had called in sick that morning.

Considering that my job is filling in for absent teachers, you'd think that I covered classes for sick teachers all the time. Not really. But it does happen occasionally.

Since Mr. E had called out that morning, he left no lesson plans in the classroom. Nor had he emailed them. Luckily, I know who his wife is. Her classroom is directly across from his.

Alas, he had not sent lesson plans in with her either. But after a couple phone calls, I was set for the day.

I kind of hate bothering a teacher when he isn't feeling well and could really use the rest. But, I walk into these classes cold. I have no idea what they're doing. And I'd like to not have it be a wasted day for them.

Luckily, the students were finishing up lab work and such, so it was a pretty easy day, once I knew what to instruct them to do.

21 comments:

  1. No emergency lesson plan? but I'm glad you were able to make ocntact with him and get things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. And those should totally be in by now.

      Delete
  2. I feel the pain, this happens to me with recovery groups in my workplace, sometimes. Good thing it ended easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my youth before I knew what I was going to do, I substituted at several local schools. One time I did a full week without any lesson plans or a chance in hell I was going to get them. I have to say learning on the job--while challenging-- is quite instructive for life in general. Congrats on getting through unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go in there totally unprepared and they will eat you alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, I love Alex' comment! You would think they would have a backup plan (the teachers you are subbing for) even if they are sick. Now if they got into an accident on the way to school, emergency surgery, etc., but I would think they could come up with something from their sick bed.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it was an easy day, though I bet it's a pain in the butt when teacher is sick. No one really plans on being sick, so prepping for someone to take your place isn't at the forefront of one's thoughts. Good thing this wasn't too bad of a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm hesitant about sick calls. It's not nice to make someone have to plan what happens while they're out, but that's how the system works.

      Delete
  7. "Oh good, you're here." I bet a lot of faculty say that when they see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sick teachers, no lesson plans. Did those, got sick myself. JE Oneil is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So most of your substitutions area planned absences by teachers? That surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read that as Mr. Ed. Sheesh it's been a long day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should come up with fictional names for the teachers, too.

      Delete
  11. It helps when you have some sort of direction to take off in...not knowing where they are or what they are studying can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not. I can fake things if I know what they've been doing, but if not...

      Delete
  12. Substitute teachers are heroes. You save the day from complete chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thing his wife worked across the hall!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.