Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Hidden Among Us


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements. ðŸ˜‰

One day I sat down to write a bunch of "what if?" questions to get a bit ahead on the blog. A theme emerged...

What if extra terrestrials were to reveal themselves to us tomorrow? What if they revealed they'd been living among us for thousands of years? (In other words, the opposite of last week's question.)

16 comments:

  1. I think I would ask them why they chose to reveal themselves now instead of years before. Did they have a new agenda now? If so, then I would be a bit worried until they would let me know they did not intend to do any harm.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Betty, I would ask the same questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd ask why they are here and what do they want from us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must have been an interesting case study to be here for that long. I wonder how many are Walmart greeters

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would ask why they would ever want to come here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would ask them the significance of this time period. They've been here for thousands of years... Maybe we finally passed some mystical test or failed one miserably...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to have conversation with them.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be most interested in knowing "why now"? And I would make sure they hadn't written any cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I think we would have noticed if they'd been partaking of... Okay, I can't finish that sentence.

      Delete
  9. I wouldn't be terribly surprised, though of course I'd want proof, and then the why did they come and stay and what now? Oh, and are they wearing skin suits or do they look just like us?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would ask them, what they learnt about us all the while they were incognito.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.