Friday, August 23, 2024

Victor/Victoria

Note: the title of this post references a movie. If you have not seen it, it's a good movie. I recommend it. 

Friday. The second day of school.

In teacher training, I learned that it is not a good idea to let students choose their seats. But, as someone whose last name starts with an A, I really dislike seating students alphabetically. I prefer a randomization method. 

Ms. S had the desks numbered. She also had index cards with the numbers on them. So, I shuffled the cards, and as the students entered the room, I drew a card and assigned them that seat. It was lovely.

A few students did move as they needed to be close to the front. This was to be expected. I'm sure there'll be other moves as the semester wears on. 

But, mostly they sat in the random seats I had randomly generated. 

One of the other starting class things I did was to have them make pull cards. (These are cards with their names on them that I can shuffle to call on them randomly.) 

As I went around to pick them up, I made sure to pronounce their names to make sure I was saying them right. This is when I noticed that two boys who have the same name sit next to each other. Deep sigh.

So, as I was picking up the cards one period, I looked down and noted the boy was named Victor. Nothing odd there. In the very next seat was Victoria. 

Um...

I think there are a few kinks in the randomization system. Sigh. 

(I kinda want to tell the kiddos about the movie, but I'm not sure it's terribly age appropriate. I mean, it's not bad, but there are a few adult themes that they're probably a bit young for. If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean.)

22 comments:

  1. I’ve seen the movie, and yeah, you shouldn’t discuss it with them…

    But OMG, the random seating plan and the names …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, nothing beats the one class where I found Isis sitting next to Osiris, but this is second place. (Sadly, I was only doing a one day sub in the class with Isis and Osiris.)

      Delete
  2. I think seating charts should be organized by size. I swear, I was always in the back, behind a brick wall of a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some kind of math problem and sure enough, I found this link online. https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/4526679/probability-of-two-people-sitting-next-to-each-other However, someone would have to explain this all to me. I do wonder what the chances would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too late on a Friday for me to input my actual class numbers, but yeah, I understand that problem. Funnily enough, my last long term assignment was doing probability right at the end there, so I was actually teaching them how to do problems like that. Well, simpler, but same principle.

      Delete
  4. I love the random seating. Such a good idea. Probably not age appropriate to bring the movie up. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think every teacher has the own style when it comes to seating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you assigned the students’ seats. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. This is my ideal, but so many factors have to be in place for it to work. Luckily, they were in this case.

      Delete
  7. Second day of school and a sub is already needed? How does that happen? Anyway, the two V's....be it Victor and another male name Victoria...whatever. Nothing these days surprise me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria was a girl...

      I'm in a long term gig for a teacher out on maternity leave. So, technically I'm their teacher, at least for now.

      Delete
  8. How that happened by randem made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the random pairings can make me shake my head.

      Delete
  9. Haven't though about that movie in years. Seems tame by todays standards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One benefit of alphabetical seating provided me a close high school friend. He was a character, for sure. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boy who also had a last name that starts with an A was a jerk. That might be another reason I dislike alphabetical seating.

      Delete
  11. Alphabetical order makes it easier to remember names and faces. Fun story about the two kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dealing with kids is a bit of agony too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.