Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The Ideal Consequence

It was Monday. We had no internet. But, luckily, the assignment for the day had the kiddos looking at "cards" of various images, some science related, some not. They were sorting and categorizing the images based on questions I wrote on the dry erase board (as my lovely little slide was inaccessible due to no internet). 

Third period. Every teacher has that one class. The difficult group. The period they dread. For me, that has become third period. 

The kiddos were working in the groups I had assigned. One group was having a personality conflict. A girl told me that Simon was bothering them, and they couldn't work with him. 

The group wasn't one of the better behaved groups. But Simon and I have already had our issues. (This was the fourth time I'd had the class, and I already was aware of Simon. Enough said?)

Luckily, there was a group that was only two students, so Simon could join them. (I was going for groups of four, but there were a few groups of three just due to class numbers.) 

Simon did not like that idea. He lashed out verbally. I let him say his piece, and then I insisted he move to the new group. 

Later, Simon approached. His new group... Well, if I wanted a fitting consequence, I think I found it. The two students Simon was with were silent. Completely. They wouldn't talk. 

This wasn't ideal, as the assignment was a group thing. 

But, Simon was unable to irritate these students as they weren't engaging with him. 

Perfect. 

29 comments:

  1. I could imagine it would be torture to want to engage but nobody will rise to the challenge. Clever way to solve the irritant problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had intended that and it had not been a happy accident ;)

      Delete
  2. That does sound like an ideal consequence. Love those happy accidents!

    And yeah. There is *always* that one period/group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart kids! Don't engage the jerk and he loses his power. https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/p/the-first-wednesday-of-fall

    ReplyDelete
  4. So even the other students have an issue with Simon. You'd think he'd have learned by now and realized he's the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12-year-olds? Nah. They're not that self aware yet.

      Delete
  5. Ha! Perfect. You'll have to remember this grouping for the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Nope. But I've moved him to a more isolated seat (where I can keep an eye on him). He hates it. So, win.

      Delete
  7. I doubt Simon learned his lesson. At least you had one small victory in the difficult student period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on Simon. He got the "right under the teacher's nose" seat now. Which he hates. But I can keep him in check so much better.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! And perhaps now you'll have future Simon solutions. :D Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thecontemplativecat here. Do you have a Simon every year? Or was Damien the boy I am thinking of. You have a good attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what will happen with Simon in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your approach to handling the situation was spot-on. You kept things calm and found a solution that worked for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remaining calm with middle schoolers is the only way to go.

      Delete
  12. This seems to remind me of my student life. Lol! Kids could be exhausting but also refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like Simon has some issues. I hope things work out, rather than reeve up as the year continues. Quiet is nice, but how will they get their project done. Good luck with the 3rd period. The year has just begun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have them for a couple more weeks. My time with them is limited.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.