Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Found

When I started this long-term assignment, I had to put together the classroom. But, unlike with the vacant classes I usually end up starting the school year in, the teacher had left most of her stuff. So, I had materials to work with.

First up was procuring a pencil sharpener, which I found on my second day there. I found her printer a couple weeks into the gig

But there were other things I needed. And I meant to order them, but I hadn't gotten around to it. I was waiting to bring in a list.

As students turned in work, I had to find a way of keeping the papers organized. I found a hanging file box. I needed those tab things to label the hanging files. 

Then, the dry erase board doesn't erase very well. There's a spray that cleans it. I knew I could get some, eventually. 

But last week, while retrieving something, I stumbled across the tabs I needed. Because of course Ms. S already had some. And behind that? The dry erase board spray. 

I'm not sure how many weeks I was doing without stuff that Ms. S actually had in the classroom

I even found another paper organizer to keep copies of things that haven't been passed out yet. 

I suppose if I had more time to just dig through stuff... Sigh. I know she has classroom decor as well, but I haven't had a chance to set that up either. There's just so much time, and my focus is on keeping the class running.

Ah well. At least now I have found a few other things I've been needing.

22 comments:

  1. This long term gig has become an adventure in more ways than one. I hope you find the rest of what you need. It must be in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seems to be. If only I had the time to spend just organizing...

      Delete
  2. There must be a lot of stuff, and places to hide stuff! You have enough to do with the classes, not to stay after to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I had hoped to get so much more done before it was time to go. Sadly, these are my last two days, and it didn't get done.

      Delete
  3. It's too bad a cheat sheet of where supplies were located wasn't left for you. I suppose life and a leave of absence don't really work that way, you can't always plan for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What she did leave for me: a whole plastic storage container filled with the copies I needed for the first three weeks, a seating chart with post-it notes already attached, actual supplies (that I had to find, but still), and lesson plans. That is huge. That's more than I usually start a school year with. So, while I'm whining about having trouble finding things, at least I had things. First world problems :)

      Delete
  4. I've done stuff like that. Often with things of my own, that I put somewhere myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool to find what you need----eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, I'm too much of a snoop to have have gone through everything to see what was there. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it wasn't like anything there wasn't for classroom use. I should have snooped more. Seriously.

      Delete
  7. Time is one thing we lack. ~sigh~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your approach to putting the class together. It sounds so organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to work in special ed classes with autistic children, years ago. I remember the work to set up the class before school started. So much to do, so many supplies needed, and material needed for each child….. glad you found some supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in those classes, too. Way more work to set up those classes... Well, a different kind of work.

      Delete
  10. This sort of treasure hunts are very unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could only use what I could find, true. But, I can always order the supplies I need, so if I don't find it, I can get it.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like you came to a smorgasbord of things to use which is great.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.