Thursday, September 26, 2024

Bad Timing

Monday. I arrived early to get some stuff done. That's when I saw the email about the "social media threats". It was non-specific, and I really didn't want to know any more. We were assured that administration was dealing with the issue.

But, "threats". 

I wasn't terribly surprised when first period arrived and a third of the kiddos were missing.

And now I had a dilemma. The next class session they were to have a test. And while I had hinted at this test the prior week, I hadn't officially announced it. 

Luckily, they do have a Google Classroom.

So, I posted the study guide assignment in Google Classroom for the missing students, and we went on with our day.

(From what I've been able to pick up, the threats were directed at another school, but then picked up on social media towards other schools. Law enforcement was notified. Nothing happened at school that day.) 

When test day rolled around, some of the students who had missed were a bit surprised by the test. But, when I started the class back in August, I read through the syllabus with them, and I explained that it was the responsibility of the student to find out what they missed if they were out of school. 

I reminded them of this, and then I told them, "A good place to start is to see if I've put anything into Google Classroom." 

(I keep a list of the daily agendas in Google Classroom. I have since week two. I showed them all this.)

When I went to collect their study guides, I got a surprise. A couple students who had been absent actually had papers to turn in. They were a bit worried about having done it on paper (rather than the worksheets I had passed out that they didn't get because they were absent), but I assured them that paper was perfect. 

Some of them are paying attention. And some of them are trying. (Actually, more than some.) 

When I went to check, some of the absent students had actually done the assignment digitally. (Which was fine.) 

I mean, there are a whole bunch of students who didn't do it. But I was pleased how many had figured out how to take care of what they needed to do. (And as I accept late work, those that missed out can still turn it in.) 

This is excellent for seventh graders. I'm rather pleased.

And as for the test, it went rather well. The grades were pretty good on average.

12 comments:

  1. I can understand the apprehension when there is a threat, ugh I hate that parents/students/teachers have to even think of such things. So awesome that you had so many "take care of business" students, especially for middle school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part, they're a good group. For seventh graders. They'll be amazing when they get older, I think.

      Delete
  2. I pray you are never in such a bad situation. The violence with guns is through the roof in the States. It seems your class did really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing was mentioned about guns, dear Birgit, and related statistics are seriously skewed in favor of disarming responsible citizens. ~sigh~ Regardless, I'm thrilled that your students are doing well and all are safe. Best wishes!

      Delete
    2. It was likely a threat of someone coming to attack the school. It wasn't the first time this sort of thing has happened. Sadly.

      Delete
  3. There was a bomb threat at Drew’s school. Total hoax but they had to take it seriously. The world we live in …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I wish I was shocked by this, but it happens all to frequently.

      Delete
  4. Really sucks that we're in a country where this sort of thing happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of our local high schools had a bomb threat this week - 2 hour delay in starting the school day. Ditto a couple of weeks ago. Disruptive. I haven't heard more i.e. if they've found who was responsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we don't find out. Giving those sorts of people attention is what they seek. Better to arrest them quietly.

      Delete
  6. Glad to read that many Ss are trying and also submitting the assignment to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. It's great. I'm glad that they care about their grades.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.