Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Unable, Perhaps Unwilling

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

I was pondering blackmail (as one does...) and I wondered something. (There was a blackmail subplot in a show I was watching, although I wouldn't be against using such a thing in something I was writing. If I was writing something.) 

What if you were being blackmailed, and while you did not want this information getting out, you had absolutely no way to meet the blackmailer's demands? (It could be that there was no way to get the kind of money they were asking. Or perhaps they were asking for you to do something that you absolutely could not do--hurting someone else comes to mind.) 

11 comments:

  1. There's be nothing to do but let the information get out, unless the blackmailers could be convinced I had no money, or was unable to meet their demands.
    I would also assume they were trying to blackmail the wrong person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can take the power away from the blackmailer by publication of the material yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your remark, "I was pondering blackmail (as one does...)" made me giggle. This would make for an interesting plot point that I may have used in a short story (or several) years ago. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. who is the blackmailer? does the victim know who it is? If so this could be discussed and considered. Does this sack of dung realized that he could be found legally, and his victims could be face to face. I would visit him, but I would take my German shepherd along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would get comfortable with my dirty laundry being aired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is best to live your life in such a way that there is nothing to blackmail you over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd go with Lisa above. Let the blackmailer go ahead and see what happens. Consequences may be painful. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope.. would never harm another person or commit a crime to protect a secret.. if the secret has to come out then so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope. Blackmailing me is useless. As a church lady said to me one time, "We all sin, yours just show more." Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It then might be time to go through with my long held fantasy to fake my own death, in some rather elaborate unusual manner. Ha! Or to just say to the blackmailer "Do your worst", got nothing to give you, buddy. We're all "fuc%%ps" here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Birgit…the best way to stop the blackmailer is to come clean, no matter how difficult. I would speak the truth and tell the blackmailer to go..um..to the moon.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.