Tuesday, March 26, 2024

The Big Yawn

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Most religions have some sort of "second coming" in them, don't they? (I'm not particularly religious, so I can't be sure.) I'm not going to specify religions, but assume the major prophet or some such was reborn when I say "second coming". 

What if the "second coming" happened, and we just... missed it? That is, what if that prophet or whoever did return, but no one noticed?

12 comments:

  1. Well, what a disappointment! Big things are supposed to happen when a prophet returns, aren't they? Paradise! Resurrections! Raptures! I guess the faithful will just keep on waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to my beliefs, after the rapture, those left behind had better recognize God when he comes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. When the rapture happens and those who are saved by Jesus' sacrifice disappear, there would be a worldwide panic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an interesting thought. As a pessimist, it wouldn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have lot of second coming. I believe in recarnation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love carnations and wish there were perennial plants here; they sure smell better than dead bodies. ;P You know I'm a language geek. No offence to Dora, I couldn't resist poking fun at the typographical error.

      Delete
    2. I, the language geek, forgot to sign in again. Ugh... Meanwhile, the fingerless gloves you knitted on commission are awesome. I'm wearing them right now. Best wishes!

      Delete
  7. Life and the world will go on as it is right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder where they'd return from. Outer space? Another dimension? Religious beliefs are really sci fi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's no second coming. Except in myths and poems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Imagine if the second coming was as quiet as a whisper, slipping by unnoticed. What if it wasn't about one big event, but a series of small, unnoticed incidents? Maybe it's happening all around us, if only we paused to see it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.