Friday, March 29, 2024

Bored Games

I've decided that Adriel is bored. 

(Adriel is the student who has apparently cheated on tests in the past. But I've seen when he does the work. I think he actually understands the material.)

He's bored and immature. So, he entertains himself like a middle schooler would. But, he's old enough to realize that he needs to be sneaky so as not to get caught.

Ms. L, the co-teacher, explained that Adriel had a partner in crime, and the two of them together were unmanageable (even when they were seated across the room from each other). Mr. J made it his mission to get the boys in different periods. He succeeded. 

So, now Adriel sits isolated at the edge of the room, and he spends most of the period watching his phone.

He spends the rest of the period throwing markers and pencils. Surreptitiously. So as not to get caught.

Now that I have the rhythms of the class, I told Ms. L that I could teach the lessons. So, she can help the students as I go over the material. (This is how the class is supposed to function. She is the special ed teacher. Her students need a bit more assistance.) 

I was explaining something about 30-60-90 triangles...

Ms. L: "Adriel, stop throwing pencils." 

Apparently he denied doing it.

Ms. L: "I saw you throw it."

He must have gone back to watching his phone.

(It's not that we've given up on him. We try to get him engaged in the class. But at a certain point, we're expending way more energy on a student who won't try when we could spend the time with students who actually want the help.)

At least with Ms. L watching them, Adriel is more likely to get caught. And that's a win. 

15 comments:

  1. So, they schools are still unable to ban phones from classrooms? I overheard a mother and her kids in a store. The kids were saying they couldn't use their phones on a field trip. The mother said that was outrageous, and they had the right to have their phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you've found the hitch. That mother. That's who makes the big stinks. That's who fights the schools when they put phone bans into place.

      Delete
  2. Lis, você com máscara ou sem máscara é muito bonita. Feliz Páscoa para você e seus leitores. ESTOU SEGUINDO O SEU BLOG. SE VOCÊ ME SEGUIR EU VOU ADORAR.
    Um beijo da Rô.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bored and immature. It isn't a good combination. It's a shame that if the acting out is strictly out of boredom (understands the material, wishes the material was more challenging - I'm speaking strictly from experience) that there was a way to work with that. As if schools didn't already expect too much from their staff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I had him in class, he actually pulled out the assignment. And as long as I talked him through what to do (which he could do), he completed problems. But the minute I walked away (the classroom phone rang, then two other students had questions), he stopped working. He's just not trying. Not putting in the effort. This will be a problem when he gets all Fs and ends up at the continuation high school.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like Adriel will one day grow up to be a Congressman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not a fan of school....I really wished not to be there. But I did not disturb the class, other than having conversations with others. Yes, I am one that my report card read that I did not use my time wisely and I talked to much in school.....lol.....hard to believe, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam totally cracked me up. So did Al's comment; there is truth in humor, sad as this is.

      Delete
    2. It's the disruptions that bother me. I get being bored. There's a group of boys that got so bored they moved on to the next section and are trying to figure it out on their own.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.