Thursday, January 14, 2021

Nope, That's Not Done

Last Thursday I was called to cover a class I was very familiar with. It was the class I co-taught in September until they hired a special ed teacher to take over

So, jumping in was easy. 

Freshman English. The kiddos were working on a vision board with goals for this new year. (They do a lot of planning and goal setting things in freshman English. It's perfect for kiddos starting high school.) Their goals needed to be SMART goals, and while the vision board (done via Google Slides) was mostly finished, the kiddos hadn't quite hit all the specific requirements, so Ms. W was pointing those out so they'd get full points for the assignment. 

Because they were mostly finished, Ms. W gave them a reflection assignment to also complete. 

Period three. Class had barely started. Ms. W was explaining what mistakes she was seeing in the project. 

Cassius typed into chat that he was finished with the assignment. 

Rather than reiterate that maybe perhaps he should check to make sure he hadn't made any of the mistakes that Ms. W was seeing, I responded (via the chat) that there was a reflection assignment to do.

Ms. W moved on to explaining what she needed them to do in the reflection assignment. She had barely finished when Cassius said he had finished that. 

I went in and checked. He had answered the first two questions very well. Then there was a page break, and no more answers to questions. Sigh. 

So, I told Cassius that he had to finish page two. 

My job was to check over the reflection assignment, and when that was complete I could dismiss the students. So, via the chat, they'd say they were done, and I'd check. 

I had dismissed a couple students when Cassius asked if he could go. I double checked his assignment. He hadn't added anything. So, I repeated that he needed to complete the second page. 

I continued checking the assignments. I dismissed a couple more students. 

Cassius popped up again. He finally found page two, and he had done it. 

Alas, there were still issues he needed to fix. I added comments so he'd know, and then I told him to check the assignment. 

But, Cassius had already left the meet. I guess he thought it was done or something. Sigh. 

After class, Ms. W said she wasn't surprised. Cassius had a tendency to half-ass assignments. He'd get distracted, walk away from the computer, or such. 

Not surprising, really. At that age, it is kinda typical. 

19 comments:

  1. Being virtual just makes it easier for those types to get away with things like that, although I'm sure his grade will reflect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, remote learning...

    Drew's school is hybrid, but today they had only 200 of 800 students in the building, and a staff shortage so severe that teaching assistants were supervising students. I think they may be going back to remote learning soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how any schools are open right now. Our governor has said he wants schools to start reopening in February, and I mentally laugh at that.

      Delete
  3. Remote learning is really hard for some kids. Of course, there are those who don't do any better in person anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully somewhere along his path, the kid learns to stop half assing things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So teaching via computer is not different then teaching in the class room...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, it sounds as if you really have your hands full with these kids (and I include your last post too, about the "weird kid"). You must have infinite patience. I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It's funny how often I get the "patience" comment. I really don't.

      Delete
  7. So glad our kids have been in face to face learning since late May. Our new school year begins at the start of Feb and I am really hoping it won't be disrupted by covid like last year was (my eldest Barbarian is in his final year of school).

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first cousin once removed who is a 7th grade teacher in New York City was vaccinated today. Her school has been doing hybrid but I don't know how it's doing right now. I have another first cousin once removed who needed a job, and he was hired by a private school with no teaching credentials whatsoever (he does have a college degree but that's it) because the teacher shortage in the NYC area is so severe. I don't know how he's doing. I salute teachers; I wouldn't survive a day doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When his parents see his grades from those half-assed assignments, he'll regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that he was sure that he is finish and because that he left.

    New Post - https://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2021/01/kerastase-nutritive-nectar-thermique.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. He'll be surprised when he gets his score.

      Delete
  11. He sounds intelligent but get bored easily so I wonder if he has some form of add or adhd.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.