Monday, January 25, 2021

A Bit of a Surprise

Remember last week how I went and picked up an old project?

When I started the thing, back in 2013, the intent was to knit myself a lightweight cardigan. Instead of finding a sweater pattern, I found a stitch pattern I liked, and I decided to wing it. I know roughly how a sweater is constructed. I've knit sweaters in the past. 

I swatched. I found my gauge. I figured how many stitches I'd need to cast on to make it sized for me. And then I cast on. 

I figured it'd be a couple months, and then I'd have to figure out how I was going to attach sleeves. 

Seven years pass... 

So, a couple weeks ago, I found myself between knitting projects. And I remembered the cardigan. I figured I could knit a few rows on the thing until something else catches my interest. 

Only, a funny thing happened on Tuesday or Wednesday. I looked at how long the thing was, and I wondered. I pulled out a t-shirt for comparison, and yep, I'm just about there. It's almost long enough to need to figure out the sleeve portion of the project. 

Suddenly my sweater is looking like it might get finished. 

I haven't bound off for sleeves yet, but I'm close enough that it was time to do some calculations. I actually have a sleeve plan. Barring any weird distractions, I should be ready to get the sleeves started this coming week.

The picture of the thing doesn't look much different than last week. I completed about half a pattern repeat.


But, in an experimental mood, I tried filming myself knitting. (I'm planning to film some videos of me making stuff. Figuring it all out is turning out to be more complicated than I expected. So, baby steps.) 

Remember a couple months ago when I tried to post the videos I had made of my lip balm holders? It seems that the only solution to getting videos to upload and embed is to upload them to YouTube. I guess this means I started a YouTube channel.

Well, hopefully it works...

There is no sound. I'm knitting one pattern repeat on row three of the pattern. It's slow. I'm a more confident knitter, really, but dealing with having the camera set up slowed me down. 

It was a first attempt. I'll figure out how to set it all up eventually.

24 comments:

  1. You'll have a sweater soon!
    You have a lot of patience to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, nearly done ;) Watching your hands knitting, it looks like a very complicated pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you and it will be good to see the finished product. I watched you video and am always amazed at how people do this so fast. To me, you are fast and I have no clue how you can keep all of those stitching ways in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice. I've been doing it a lot of years.

      Delete
  4. I have seen people knitting but never so close! A deft art indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome that you're making progress on your sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Watching you knit I can see how it could become very addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are more than a few people who like to watch knitting and stuff like that. It's supposed to be relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lot of work! But it fills those quiet moments I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when projects are nearer to completion than I thought they were when I put them down. Good going, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well...baby steps. Three tries (long long ago) and I never did learn to knit. At all. So I admire anyone who can do any knitting at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a challenge to get the hang of it, that's for sure.

      Delete
  11. I'm so excited; it's going to be fantastic. Best wishes on completion, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pattern looks so vintage, like what my mom used to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very old stitch pattern, so your mom probably did do at at some point.

      Delete
  13. I like texture of it. It should go with a lot of items.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for getting the video done! Videos are much harder and more time consuming than I expected, so yay for baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have no idea how I'm even going to attempt to edit anything. (I may have to bribe my brother.)

      Delete
  15. Oh yes. It's just over six years I've been working on it (sporadically).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.