Monday, January 11, 2021

Indecision

Last week I finished the entrelac scarf that I'd been working on since October. And now. . .

I found this pattern for a beanie that I thought looked cute. I won't post a picture due to copyright concerns and the fact that it has a certain F-word scrawled all over it. 

A day or two after I finished the scarf, I dug through my yarn stash and pulled out all the yarn I had that was the right weight for the beanie. I printed out the pattern. I sat down and worked a gauge swatch. 

And I haven't done a thing with it since.

I ran into two issues. The first: I really hate stranded knitting. But, I can duplicate stitch the word when I'm finished knitting the hat. It might even work better that way. 

However, issue number two is what's flummoxed me since then. 

What color do I use? 

I'm probably never going to wear it. I might gift it to someone. I might sell it. And I have way too many choices when it comes to color combinations. 

I mean, a black hat with the neon yellow would really stand out. But the tealish blue might be nice. The color in the middle is an olive green. Or red...

I'm overthinking, so I thought I'd pose it to you all. What color should I knit the hat in? What color should I then pair with it to duplicate stitch the F-word? Do I go high contrast, or do I keep the colors close, so the word doesn't stand out? 

I really don't know here. I'm open to suggestions.

23 comments:

  1. Black with the lighter blue as lettering would work and the word (whatever you choose) wouldn't be glaring. Unless you want it glaring, then go with the green and bright yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like black with the lighter blue best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have zero fashion sense. lol I'm sure you'll end up with something cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. That's why I asked. But I'm getting some good suggestions.

      Delete
  4. You are a bold woman. Somehow neon something with black would be my choice. I am also bold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of the black with the neon yellow. Or maybe the olive with the yellow? I just like the contrast of it. It seems funny to me to have the f-bomb stitched all over the had in impossible not to notice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Alex's suggestion best. If you're going to try to sell it, think of colors that would go with common coat colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IF you probably aren't going to wear it, then you would either gift to someone who would appreciate the F@#$ or sell to someone who wants the F@#$. In that case I'd go with colours that stand out, but are wearable with day-to-day clothing. In that case I'd probably do a black beanie with red font.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, but which ones? Because there are so many ways to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I was wearing the hat, I wouldn't want the word to be too obvious. I'd probably do the beanie in that blue second from the right and the word in either purple (on the right end) or olive green, depending on my mood when I knit it. I like all those colors by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not thinking of coat colors, just the hat. I like the black and neon yellow. Just because it has attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the red. I wouldn't want the word on it so its hard to decide what color to use for that.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Use all the colors. That would be really original.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Black with about any of those colors would look good.

    That sample you linked to - where on earth would someone be able to wear that, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love my scarf in the winter time. The last one I made before getting rid of all my yarn is narrow so that it don't bunch up around my neck a lot and it is long! I did it in black, gray and white. As for a beanie or hat...I think I made one for my youngest grand once. On one of the knitting round thingys! I was not a big fan of using that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those. I tried playing with it once, but it's pretty awkward. I figure if I ever get arthritis, I will need such a device, so I keep it around.

      Delete
  15. I'm drawn to the neon yellow/green.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would choose the blue colour-2nd from the right and the red for the lettering.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.