Wednesday, January 20, 2021

In the Wrong Room

The last time I covered Ms. L's class was early November. The continuation high school isn't doing distance like the other schools. Rather than adding me into the Google Classroom as a teacher, they just gave me the link for the meet. And the last time I covered Ms. L's class, that worked just fine. 

Tuesday morning. I got the lesson plans. I logged into the meet. And I waited.

And waited. 

I knew something was wrong pretty quickly. While the kiddos don't all show up on time, someone is there on time. If only one. And usually someone is a touch early. 

But five minutes into class and I had no one? Nope, that's a mistake. 

I went through about ten minutes of panic which included calling the school (which didn't help). But then I noticed that the teacher had given me the student codes. . .

Google Classroom is set up so that someone can be designated a "student" or a "teacher". Teachers can add assignments and grade things. Students can only see what's been input and complete assignments. 

But what I needed was the meet link, which everyone can see. So, I figured why not? I can sign up as a student. 

Once I had done that, I found the messages from the students, wondering if class was happening. 

I had missed about half of first period (the class periods at the continuation high school are a half hour), but knowing the issue, I made sure to log into class via the Google Classroom for the rest of the day.

Teachers have a tendency to reuse their lesson plans, only modifying the specific stuff the class is doing that day. Clearly, Ms. L didn't realize that the meet links change. I let her know about the issue.

13 comments:

  1. Live and learn. At least, if it happens again, you'll suspect immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did suspect immediately. Imagine if I had spent the entire period thinking no one showed up.

      Delete
  2. Technology means that now you can be sent to the wrong room online instead of in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you problem solve, Liz. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sure, you were really just cutting class weren't you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all learning our way around techie stuff. Just think in five years we will all wiz.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz - yes our wits need to be about us ... well done on sorting it out. Stay safe - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I would hate that and am not one for all this technology but glad you figured it out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.