Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Impending Doom


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements.
😉

Last week's question wasn't read in the way I intended it. That's not really a problem. I want questions to be interpreted differently by different people. But last week everyone got bogged down in the how rather than the what, so this week I'm going to try the question again. Hopefully this time the focus will be where I had hoped it would be.

What if you learned that something terrible was coming (either coming for you or coming your way)? (The how you learn this is unimportant. Only, the source of this knowledge is trustworthy, so this impending doom is coming.)

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Liz! I totally missed last week's version of this question. Having had two terrible things happen to me already (two brain aneurysm ruptures twelve years apart), I WISH a psychic had warned me. I would've insisted on an MRI! But now? If I learned that something else terrible was about to happen? I would probably write notes to both of my sons, telling them how much I love them. Then I would probably try to finish writing my WIP, even if no one would ever read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as I'm with the Husband and Missy Molly the pinky-nosed (wilde) Cat, I can face anything. In this kind of ominous possibility, I would probably want us to run to where we think is a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I knew what was coming I'd try to change the course if possible. If not I'd lock the doors and stay at home just like I've done for this past year of doom and gloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting how other folks' answers can affect our own. :) In this scenario, I can see myself trying to warn others and getting nowhere. Wait. That really happened. :P Now I think the tale deserves a blog post. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Daria I mean lets face it doom and gloom is a turn off so I might try and make the best but then if I was in the army I might want to go out fighting depending on the end scenario

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I'm living that now. Just lots of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I knew what was coming I would prepare as much as I could. If I didn't know the exact thing I would turn it over to God and be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not specify if you knew exactly what it was, did I?

      Delete
  8. Will face it, because there isn't much I can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I would just brace for it as best I could and enjoy what I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I couldn't control the oncoming doom I'd be texting loved ones that I love them. Like people do in real life, I am guessing. And then hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I did not specify that you couldn't change the outcome (and I won't ever specify that).

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.