Thursday, January 21, 2021

Busy

A lot of this distance learning thing consists of me staring at a computer screen with boxes of avatars and student names. When the students have their cameras off, all I see is their avatar. 

I leave my camera on, but I have an avatar of my own:


So, I find ways to entertain myself. One of the things I planned to do last week was come up with some questions for my "what if?' posts on Tuesdays. 

But I really should know better. . .

Friday. I had a special ed math class. And they had a review assignment. 

More of them actually had their cameras on. And they responded when I greeted them. 

I explained the assignment. I offered my assistance if they got stuck. Then I had them get to work. 

And they took me up on my offer of assistance. 

It was nice. I actually got to do some teaching. I ended up going over the same thing over and over. It's a bit of a challenge to explain things through a computer screen, but I do have a few tools at my disposal. 

I was actually busy. 

I answered questions right up until the end of the period. One class was dealing with inequalities while the other two were working on fractions, decimals, and percents. These are challenging for all students, so it wasn't a shock that they needed help.

I really should know better. Never make plans to work on something else during class time. Those are the days when I don't have the time.

15 comments:

  1. HAHA...I know it never fails when I think I can squeeze something else in, work gets in the way!! Must feel nice to be able to teach for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a nice change from what I normally do.

      Delete
  2. Of course! It's like when you're driving and waiting for a red light to answer a text and every single light is green. Any other time you catch every single red light along the way lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like your avatar. And I totally get those days that just don't go to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute avatar.

    Friend of mine is teaching remotely, her students simply turn on their cameras and stare at her for the entire class. They don’t interact at all. She’s frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't understand fractions, decimals,percents, and ratios until I wrote about them in my 30s. Same thing with a lot of science concepts. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter is a virtual teacher, high school. She spends so much more time preparing for classes, setting up independent lessons.

    You are in the trenchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's the prep work and grading that's hard. Always was, but in person you could so some things to make the grading a bit easier.

      Delete
  7. I need to do an avatar, someday that is.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zoom is fine, but in person is better. Hope we get there before the year is out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right because it never works that way but I am glad the class was interested in learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good reason to be busy, that's for sure.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.