Friday, October 2, 2020

Endings

Wednesday is the day I have a prep period, and I was busy doing something when I noticed I had an email from the sub caller. It was two sentences long. They had hired someone for the vacant position I was covering, and she was starting the next day. 

I immediately informed my co-teachers. It was news to them as well. 

I was given two "overlap" days. Day one the new teacher (Ms. D) was doing her orientation stuff. Day two she followed me around getting acclimated to her new position. 

We were all surprised as no one at district had kept us in the loop. But it was a pleasant surprise, as the position needed to be filled. And there were things a sub can't do that a special ed teacher can (like IEP meetings, differentiating assignments, reaching out to parents, etc.). 

She seems like she'll be a good fit. She's experienced, so even though she's jumping in a month after school began, she'll be able to get up to speed fairly quickly. 

And now I'm back to day-to-day subbing. This may or may not be a good thing in the current situation. But at least it keeps the blog interesting.

18 comments:

  1. Well, that's good news, I guess.

    Drew was a special ed teacher before he retired and took a job as a permanent sub. He has been assigned to an actual program, grading papers, differentiating lessons, etc. since school opened. tells me that if he stays in his current assignment past Election Day they have to change his title from "permanent sub" to "leave replacement" and pay him a lot more money. There's a rumor the school is interviewing teachers for the opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope so. I get using us as stop gap for when they're between teachers, but at a certain point, he's doing the job, so he should be compensated accordingly.

      Delete
  2. You must have mixed feelings, so I'm glad you've taken it as an overall positive. Good on you. And I hope she fits in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wanted to teach full time, I would have taken the steps to make that possible years ago. I like subbing. I'd rather sub, so while I will miss the class, I am happy to not continue doing the same thing every day.

      Delete
  3. Will it be day-to-day subbing over Zoom? That should be an interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice when someone new comes along that is a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least the class got a permanent teacher. I bet with everything else going on it was just an oversight not to inform you about it. Your blog certainly will continue to be interesting this year of virtual learning.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a long term sub for a 4th gr. class. They had gone through 15+ subs at that point. Students need steady consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Having multiple subs is not good for any class. I'm glad they hired someone so they only had me as their one sub.

      Delete
  7. You have a good attitude about it. I guess in subbing, you have to have a strong flexibility-ability!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It'll be good for the kids to have a permanent teacher. They need stability more now than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure something will come up for subs and such

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy that you're happy with subbing. My son works part-time outside of the home and part-time in. It works for some people and like you, he's not stuck doing the same thing day after day.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.