Monday, October 12, 2020

In the Cards

My sister-in-law had a birthday at the end of September, and as I did for all her children, I gave her the choice of what she wanted me to make her. 

She chose an entrelac scarf. 

I've never knit anything in entrelac before, but I'm familiar with the technique. I've done some modular knitting in the past (which is entrelac-adjacent). . .

(I still use this purse.) 

One thing I learned when making that purse (and a couple other purses in a similar vein) was to use cards. 

This kind of technique is made by knitting up blocks. Each set of blocks has a slightly different pattern. Once you're doing the knitting, it's pretty easy to see what needs to be done. But when you set down the work, it takes a bit of time to recall where you are in the pattern the next day (or next knitting session).

This is when I hit upon making cards. 

Each card contains the instructions for one specific block. I keep them clipped together. The card on top is the next block in the sequence. 

(I usually keep the pattern next to me as I'm working. Why would you memorize a pattern you're making once?) 

As I finish one set of blocks, I flip that card to the back to move onto the next set of blocks in the sequence. It makes it much easier to keep track of where I am. And I don't have to wade through a page of instructions (or the pages in a book or magazine) to find the set of instructions I need. 

I haven't gotten very far on the scarf yet. 

And it doesn't look like much. But now that it's set up, it's just a matter of working it until I finish. I'll keep you updated. 

16 comments:

  1. I like your system with the cards. It makes sense to use them like this for the directions. I can't wait to see the final outcome with the scarf!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It's really great for color changing yarn. It really shows it off.

      Delete
  3. That's a good way to remember. Looking forward to the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it will be gorgeous! Have a great week Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those colors, and the style really does look cool. I'm really interested in seeing the final product. It's going to look neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We probably have the same book. It's a great effect, although it works best when you're using a variegated yarn, especially long striping ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to remember where you are at. I love the colours chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to find this trick, but it helps so much.

      Delete
  8. Hey, that looks cool! Will it be 3D-ish when it's done? Love that purse too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kinda looks woven, but it's flatter than woven would be.

      Delete
  9. Hi Liz - love the colours ... while the concept is clever ... yes - your purse is fun to see. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I adopt myself into your family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that made me laugh out loud. But the card idea is very clever and the purse is super cute.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Darla. Alana. . . We're a weird bunch.

      Delete
  11. Oooh, haven't heard of this before! I look forward to seeing how it turns out (and I love! the bag).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.