Friday, October 23, 2020

The Wrong Assignment

It was one of the "very" special ed classes. Fifth period was math. 

The teacher had left no lesson plans for me. In Google Classroom she had posted what she wanted the kiddos to do. 

Luckily, the earlier classes were co-taught, so I got the idea of how things were set up. They'd divided the classes into two groups. Group 1 started at the beginning of the period. After about a half hour, they were left to continue the work on their own while group 2 logged in and got a different assignment. 

Some from group 2 would log in at the beginning of class, and some from group 1 would remain if they had questions. As the teachers know who's in which group, this isn't a big issue for them. 

At the beginning of fifth period, I pulled up group 1's assignment and started going over it. We did the work together. 

At the half hour mark, I looked for new students to log in. No one did. So, I continued on with group 1's assignment as the students were clearly having difficulty with it. 

At the end of class, I dismissed them. I input the attendance. And I wondered why group 2 didn't show up. So, I checked the names on who was assigned what. . . 

And I discovered that I had not had group 1 in class at all. They were all absent. Then I looked at group 2's assignment and understood why they were having so much difficulty. It was much easier than group 1's assignment. 

Deep sigh. 

So, I messed up. But, I maintain this was not my fault. Yes, I probably should have checked the names before class, but besides that not occurring to me, I really did not have the time. Not if I wanted to start class on time.

I did not have a list anywhere of who was in group 1 versus group 2. In Google Classroom, if I went into each assignment, I could access who was assigned what. It took about three steps to get to, but only if you know where to look. 

Ah well. At least the kiddos were busy for the whole hour. Hopefully they understood their work well enough to complete it on their own. (They could access it in Google Classroom and turn it in for their asynchronous work.)

20 comments:

  1. It's always something. Isn't it? I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. But if it wasn't something, I'd've had to do a quiz post today.

      Delete
  2. You can only do what you can do. No harm done either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy, the problems we did not even anticipate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Next time I'll be more cautious.

      Delete
  4. They were all absent? How many kids were in that class? No wonder you didn't notice, though. It seems like everyone in group 2 was early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course you left a note/email for the teacher. This sounds all confusing but I think you are doing great with it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. We live in a very different world. There is always a learning cruve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping them busy for an hour is a great achievement in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear the class didn't exactly go as smoothly as you would have liked. Sounds like you did the best that you could. I hope that your weekend relaxes and restores you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you will be surprised a lot at how today's kids are so good at using any home study app! Maybe yours didn't really want do it! :)
    Hi, would you like to follow each other?
    fiftyshadesfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. O, it happens! Online teaching is such a totally different experience. There are so many unknowns which we get to know on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, sorry it didn't go as planned. But it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a teacher who can think on her feet.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.