Monday, July 15, 2019

Called It

Do you finish things you start? I generally do. No matter how long it takes.

Over the last year and a month, I have been working, off and on, on an infinity scarf. It was a fingering weight yarn, and I was using size 2 needles. That means that I was using a very fine yarn, and each stitch was very small. So, the finished product was going to need a lot of stitches.

I cast on 324 stitches. I figured I'd work until the yarn ran out.

I've talked about the scarf as I've progressed. Here are the posts if you'd like to see it as it grew:
But then, almost two weeks ago, I took a look at the scarf. It was looking wide enough.

How wide should a scarf be? I decided I'd aim for 8 inches.

I measured my scarf. It was 7 inches across.


I was... gulp... almost done!

Keep in mind, I've been working on this puppy since June. 2018. (Ravelry is great for keeping track of these things.) I was beginning to think I'd never finish the thing.

8 inches is long enough. I was calling it. One more inch to do...

I pretty much dropped all my other projects and focused on this one. And on Friday, I finished.


Hooray.

Just to get an idea, I tried it on to show you how big it is (even though it's not for me)...


And I had a bit of yarn left over. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I'll worry about that later.


Now that that's finished, I can concentrate on the other scarf.


I started this one in November. So, totally doable by December, right?

25 comments:

  1. They both look great! I like the color of the purple; it is stunning. That's the word that came to me when I saw it.

    Good for you for sticking with your projects and eventually getting them done! I do finish most projects that I start or want to do. I know there are some things I want to do but I know I won't finish them so I don't pursue them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the scarf on Instagram. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at the rate you're going, you're about on track to finish it in December. They both look cute. It might take a while, but they are getting done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! Well worth the effort you've put into it.

    I wonder if finishing that one might spur you on to finish the next one even quicker. Nothing motivates me quite as much as finishing a project.

    Cait @ Of Needles and Noodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other stitch pattern is more fun, so that might help, too :)

      Delete
  5. I believe Captain Picard would say "Make it so, now Engage!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so pretty. I wouldn't worry about how long it has taken. I cross-stitched a birth sampler for each of my nephews and niece when they were born. The youngest nephew has been waiting 10 years for his to be finished. It's nearly there!! *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for finishing. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurrah! They both look gorgeous, Liz. The recipients are going to be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, you! I envy your stick-to-it-tive-ness. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great Liz - well done ... good for you for finishing things - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. You finished, that's what matters. I think they're both really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't it feel great to finish something no matter the length of time(get it...length..nyuck, nyuck). I love it and it looks really good and warm. I also love the purple one which looks like a different pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I didn't want to make them the same. I get bored :)

      Delete
  13. Yay - you finished your scarf! No I'm not always that great at finishing things, my excuse being moving countries, BUT it does always annoy me if I don't finish things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving countries would have things falling by the wayside...

      Delete
  14. Both of those are gorgeous. I love the look of an infinity scarf. Yet I never wear them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made one for myself last year. Wore it about half the winter.

      Delete
  15. Woot! They look amazing!

    I tried taking up crocheting once to make a blanket for my then-yet-to-be-born daughter. Yeah... didn't work out (she'll be 9 next month). In fact, I am a person who tends to abandon things early on.

    Your scarf looks great. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Perhaps you should try crochet again, but this time make something for yourself :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.