Monday, July 8, 2019

Half a Donut

The other day I was in Dollar Tree. While looking around, I saw a donut keychain. And I thought, I can do that...

Long time readers will remember when I crocheted a donut. That donut was way too big for my purposes, but if I halved the pattern...

So, I set about to do that. In the back of my mind, I wasn't really thinking keychain, though. I was thinking bag charm. But they're basically the same thing. Same size, anyway.

I located my pattern. Instead of chaining 15 sts, I figured I'd start with 8. Then I followed the pattern as is. Which made the thing way too wide around. (I should have realized that at the time. I'll blame it on summer brain.)

Starting over...

This time, I made the bottom half 4 rounds and the top half 6. And that made it come out just right...


Because this doesn't give you a good indication of size, I posed with it also.


It's tiny. Only a couple inches across.

Now it's just a matter of attaching the hardware. I figure a chain. I'm debating whether to add a keychain ring or just a claw clasp. I guess it would depend on how one wanted to use it. What do you think?

As I was working on this, I realized that I'm right on time for my summer project. It seems that I've been making keychains every summer.

Last summer:


And the summer before:


(Yes, these are in my shop here. I also take special requests for colors and such. If you're curious, just message me, and we can work something out.)

Now that that's out of the way, I suppose I should start thinking about Halloween...

22 comments:

  1. Donut on a key chain - why not? Dunkin Donuts will wish they'd thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Those are super cute! Sometimes I'll take a break from a big crochet project to work on a smaller one, usually dish cloths but I've never tried anything so small. I'm thinking about Halloween stuff too but I think I'll be sewing most of my holiday stuff but I did want to try my hand at that skull shawl. Have you seen it? Made it? - You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it (I think. I hope it's the same one you're talking about), but I haven't tried it. If you want to try this donut, click on the link. The pattern is on the blog.

      Delete
  3. It's so cute! I'd say keychain more than bag charm, but I like keychains. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The donut looks amazing! Now I'm all hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That doughnut with jimmies looks dynamite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. I need to get caught up with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing new here, really. Good to see you again.

      Delete
  7. So cute! My kids would have happily put a doughnut on their school bags (they were always on the lookout for bag charms). Now they are in high school, though, it's not cool (although I make them put on one each so I can tell their bags apart).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome...I used to make up cross stitch patterns to do. When my daughter got her DL I copied it and made a pattern for it. It was so cute. Nice to make those brains work for the things, keeps you young. HAHA....guess I did not use mine enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the donut. I think on a chain. I think I said that on Instagram. I still love your flip flop key chain. I use it for my house keys!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - great fun ... and a very colourful project for the summer - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is cute, as was your earlier donut. But gosh, I already have too many WIPs staring at me at my house and I admire people who can finish what they started....good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notice that we do not discuss the projects that have been hanging around for a while?

      Delete
  12. The donut is so adorable. I still love those mini flip-flops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tim Horton’s would love your donought key chain. People here must have their timmy’s

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.